bathroom light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping someone will help me because i am pulling my hair out now.

I removed a ceiling light from the bathroom and foolishly didn't note where the wires came from. From the ceiling I have 4 cables the wires I have to use are: one red and three blacks one of which is the switchable which I have identified.
I found a diagram for a ceiling light but it was for a three cable setup.

If someone can help me I would be very grateful.

Frank.

Sponsored Links
Have you got a multimeter?

If not pop up to the high street with £10 and buy one. it will be a great help.

The cables coming in will probably be:

Supply

Switch

Loop to next lamp

Loop to another lamp (or maybe supply to fan).

Also buy yourself a permanent marker and some white vinyl tape so you can mark the cables once you identify them. And some red sleeving or tape for the switched live. And some G/Y sleeving for the earth conductors.

when you say you have 4 cables, do you mean you have 4 single core cables?

Sponsored Links
Bearing in mind that they all have an earth I have: One black / Two red +black and one with two reds

So that makes four cables, with the following cores:

A cable with red, black and earth

Another cable with red, black and earth

A cable with red, red and earth

A cable with just one black and earth

Is that right?

A cable with red, black and earth
Another cable with red, black and earth

These two cables will be the supply in, and the other will be the feed out to the next lamp. You can tell, by turning off the power at the consumer unit, separating the wires, then turning the power back on, setting the tester to AC Volts high, and seeing if there is a 230v (approx) voltage across the Red and the Black of each cable. If there is voltage, it is the supply in. If not, it is the supply out. When you have identified these two cables, turn the power back off at the consumer unit, put the two reds in one terminal; the two blacks in another terminal, and the earths in the earth terminal.

A cable with red, red and earth
This will be the Switch cable. If you set your tester to continuity, you will find that continuity exists with the switch "On" and no continuity with the switch "off". When you have identified and marked this cable, put one of the red cores with the other two in the same terminal mentioned above. Put the other in a terminal of its own, marked "switched live"

A cable with just one black and earth
This is probably a borrowed neutral. Leave it disconnected fdor the moment. When you restore power you will probably find that something has stopped working, probably a landing light. When you have found out what it does, mark it "borrowed neutral to landing light )or whatever) and then put it in the terminal with the other two blacks, and check that the landing light now works.

When you have done all this (with the power off!) connect the wires from your light bulb holder to the terminal with all the blacks in it, and the brown or red one to the terminal with just the switched live in it. Turn the power back on, stand back, and check that the switch now turns the light on and off.

Thank you very much JohnD.

I will try this out tomorrow when it is light again!!

Hi JohnD
I did as you said and everything is working fine!

Thank you very much once again.

Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back