Bathroom Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would like some advice whether this problem has a simple solution or do I need to contact an electrician.

I have changed the light in my bathroom today, however when I have turned on the power the light works but will not turn off! Everytime I pull the cord it has no effect!

Can someone please help or suggest where I have gone wrong!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I bet you connected all the wires with the same colour together.

And I also bet it wasn't wired like that before! ;)

The original light fitting had three red wires connected together, two black ones connected together and a single black on its own.

I assumed the single black was the earth??? and the reds were live and other two black neutral?
HELP

Sponsored Links
robbie123 said:
I assumed the single black was the earth???

Why? As has been the case for many many years, the earth is the bare conductor with green or green & yellow sleeving. You may not have an earth if your installation is particularly old.

That single black is the switched live which you need to connect to the live feed of the light fitting. If you have no earth conductor remember you can not fit a metal light fitting.

Thank god you didn't touch an exposed conductive part of the fitting with it switched on, if you did it was a game of russian roulette wether or not you got a shock.
As has been said, the earths are normally bare conductors with green+yellow sleeve. If there is no earths present then only a class 2 double insulated fitting can be used.
The way it most likely was before was all reds together and to nothing else, both blacks together and to the neutral terminal on the fitting, the single black which should have a red sleeve to the live terminal on the fitting, earths if present to the earth terminal if the fitting is class 1. If the old fitting was double insulated and earths present, the earths should have been joined together but not connected to the fitting.

This reminds me of the job i'm on at the min, the cilents have no earth wire in the lighting system our spark has advised either get it done or don't install an metal fixing. too late :eek: him and an friend put one in a few years back. :LOL: in the living room

markie said:
too late :eek: him and an friend put one in a few years back. :LOL: in the living room
Next to the bowl of holy water, presumably. :evil:

There's no fuel like an old fuel; as the coalman said to the solar panel installer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back