Bathroom lighting advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to change my light fitting in bathroom(not switch) but have not attempted as yet.

The problem is that it looks like it is a ring setup with all wires connecting at the rose rather than a junction. Each rose has 3 sets of cables going in to them making it difficult to change rose.

I'm guessing 1 cable is for switch, 1 is from previous rose and 1 is to next rose.

The light fitting I got can only take 1 cable whereas the rose takes 3, how can i fit this light fitting ?

Fit a junction box with 3 cables going in and 1 out to fitting ?

Note : The rose has 3 red cables joining to bulb holder, 3 black joining bulb holder, 1 earth from bulb holder to rose. The new fitting will only hold 1 red 1 black and an earth.

Sponsored Links
One way is to use a junction box (must be accessible).

The other way is to get another piece of temrinal block, terminate the 3 red loops there,

Then connect the 2 neutrals to the fitting's neutral, and the black switched live to the fitting's live terminal.

Not forgetting the earth wires, which should all fit into the fitting's earth terminal.

crafty1289 said:
One way is to use a junction box (must be accessible).

The other way is to get another piece of temrinal block, terminate the 3 red loops there,

Then connect the 2 neutrals to the fitting's neutral, and the black switched live to the fitting's live terminal.

Not forgetting the earth wires, which should all fit into the fitting's earth terminal.

Thanks

I've recently switched electric off and had a closer look, there are 3 cables leading to rose, 2 cables have 1 red wire/1 black wire and 1 earth wire, ther 3rd cable have 2 red wires and an earth.

Seems like this is the loop system where the bathroom light switch only interupts the live flow.

The rose has no marking on it so do black go to neutral and red to live ?

replacingceilingrose0lq.gif

Sponsored Links
I stole it from B-A-S ;)

It can be found in the sticky along with a whole host of other pictures, which people seem incapable of looking at.

gloverd said:
Thanks

I've recently switched electric off and had a closer look, there are 3 cables leading to rose, 2 cables have 1 red wire/1 black wire and 1 earth wire, ther 3rd cable have 2 red wires and an earth.

Seems like this is the loop system where the bathroom light switch only interupts the live flow.

The rose has no marking on it so do black go to neutral and red to live ?
Right, your switch wire is the double red. One red goes to the lives as in RF's diagram, the other red goes to the live on the new fitting - the switch does just interrupt the live, this is the norm.

blacks go to the neutral on the new fitting.

thats fantastic, thank you all, think i'll get working on it tomorrow in daylight.

i was going to post my artist impression of how it should look like with new fitting but that diagram is excellent.

lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back