Bathroom lighting... recessed spotlights

'They are not aesthetically pleasing'

Without doubt the most stupid thing i have read on a message board in a long time. Aesthetics like art and music and very personal, what you have said is as crass as me saying your music choice is terrible.

There is no defined right and wrong with style, its individual choice, so its an argument that you cannot win.

Sponsored Links
i use non energy efficient lighting because its very aesthetically pleasing
Without doubt the most stupid thing i have read on a message board in a long time. Aesthetics like art and music and very personal, what you have said is as crass as me saying your music choice is terrible.

There is no defined right and wrong with style, its individual choice, so its an argument that you cannot win.

Sponsored Links
They are not aesthetically pleasing because they are so engineeringly offensive.

I assume by 'engineeringly offensive' you're referring to your oft-made point that they aren't exactly the most elegant engineering solution to illuminating a room due to the high Watts required to do the job compared to other solutions (which nobody would dispute). But what on earth has that got to do with whether or not they're aesthetically pleasing??? I mean as a solution to practical transport, a supercar is pretty 'engineeringly offensive' too, but that has f-all to do with how pretty it is.

What I dont understand though, is of all the violations of elegance/efficiency in the world, why do you have such a bee in your bonnet about 2" downlights used to illuminate rooms? I mean you rant and crusade against them in virtually every related thread to the point of insulting people for even considering using them. You must have spent hours of your life doing so, too. Aren't there far grosser crimes against efficiency you could devote your time to? I dare say you even commit some yourself - how big is your house? Does it need to be so big? Wouldn't somewhere smaller be more efficient? What do you drive? Could it not be something smaller with a smaller engine? And so on. WHY CAN'T PEOPLE USE DOWNLIGHTS IF THEY WANT TOOOOOOOOOOO! AAAAAARRRGGHHHHHH.

And breath. Still it wouldn't be as interesting here if things were any different, would it. Hope you don't mind my sig...

Liam

We'll see what Galliano has to say to explain why, if he thinks that aesthetics are like art and music and very personal and that there is no defined right and wrong with style, it's OK to say that something is aesthetically pleasing but to say that something is not aesthetically pleasing is the most stupid thing he's read on a message board in a long time.

BAS - you stated that my choice of lighting is not aesthetically pleasing, if you had said not appealing to you, that would be a fair point. But you didn't.

Ohh and if you feel the need to be a smart arse and misquote me, knock yourself out sunshine. This will merely be a blip on the boards until you need to vent your spleen on some hapless individual who has timber decking that you feel is inadequate and you will tell him to dispose of all of it and buy some non sustainable hardwood instead.....and then have the temerity to start lambasting people for their choice in light fittings.

BAS - you stated that my choice of lighting is not aesthetically pleasing,
And you said it was.

Please provide a logical and rational explanation of why it was OK for you to say that they are very aesthetically pleasing but it was not OK for me to say they are not.

if you had said not appealing to you, that would be a fair point. But you didn't.
Nor did you say they were appealing to you, you said "very aesthetically pleasing".

Ohh and if you feel the need to be a smart a**e and misquote me, knock yourself out sunshine.
Please show me where I have misquoted you.

To the OP. I have 4 20w chrome downlights with a pull cord dimmer in my bathroom and they look and work just fine.
They are 12v with individual psus ( transformers ), I fitted them 5 years ago and I haven't even had to change a lamp.
I can dim the lights for those dark mornings when I've just woke up or when relaxing in the bath, or they give more than adequate light while shaving.
Whether you like the look of downlighters is a matter of choice, I'm not fussed on them for other rooms but in a smallish bathroom they do an excellent job.
Your choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back