Bathroom Lighting with Extract Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone I know wanted to put some new spot lights in his bathroom, so decided to do it himself, he started the job, but doesnt want to finish it and has asked me to. I work in heavy industry as an electrician, so arent too familiar with dosestic setups, but ive wired plenty of lights and sockets up etc :LOL: (his new lights are fine for Zone 1 as well)

Anyway, there isnt much access at all, but this seems to be the current setup:
Original.jpg

Should the fan really be running off the same circuit as the light fitting? It definately is as I tested the continity.

If thats fine, is it then safe to do the following?
New.jpg

Sponsored Links
The fan should be supplied from the lighting circuit. See the Wiki here: electrics:lighting:fan

The fan should have an isolator. This might affect which of the lights you take the switched live from. Most fans also require a permanent live so they can continue running on a timer after the light is switched off.

Thanks Tim, there doesnt seem to be any isolator for it, and it isnt aon a timer, just turn off when the light switch turns off. So really, there shouldnt be a problem adding the extra two lights as shown in the diagram?

ban-all-sheds: Yeah, I know the score ;) But I'll admit Im not the most experienced when it comes to domestic, so thought I'd ask here :)

Sponsored Links
If it's not a timed-overrun fan, and therefore doesn't have a permanent live supply it doesn't need an isolator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back