bathroom lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom measures 8'x5'. The ceiling has been covered with plastic panels. Four 240v downlighters have been fitted into the ceiling whch is obviously against the regs, but wherever the lights are fitted in a bathroom this small must be against the regs. My question is: if I change the downlighters to 12v would this be in line with current regulations?

Sponsored Links
You can have any lighting you want in the bathroom. In theory there's nothing wrong with GU10 50w x 230v lamps, other than the vast amount of energy they use for average quality lighting.

The bigger issue here is the heat they kick out and the concern I'd have for deforming / melting the plastic ceiling.

If the fittings take them (some do, some don't) why not change the bulbs for megaman low energy items which run much cooler.

if you have other reasons for suspecting the lights to be outside regulations please qualify this with more detailed info and maybe even a few pictures.

Changing 240v lighting to 12v types won't help.

Lighting for bathrooms must be suitable for the environment - the voltage isn't a factor, unless you intend to fit lighting into the bath itself.

The height of the room is significant - how high is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back