bathroom lighting

Sponsored Links
So it isn't a modular kit as described in 3c as you have to wire it into the FCU / switch etc.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter if it is inside the bathroom or outside the bathroom, if the kit requires hard wiring/fitting of plugs etc then it is not as described by 3c:

(c)pre-fabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and socket connections

No they don't, the kits which do comply with 3c come with a plug already attached or available as a separate pre-assembled lead.

Am I wrong in thinking that you can not replace a LV for ELV without notification.
Yes, you are wrong, as long as the lighting is not a special installation, i.e. as long as it is a pre-assembled lighting set bearing the CE marking referred to in regulation 9 of the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994.
But the subject concerns special locations

Right so we will recap.
Extra-low voltage lighting installations are a special installations, regardless of room.
So if you replaced a standard low voltage light for an extra low voltage light it would require notification.

PBoD - just go and read Schedule 4 - there's no point me trying to convey it by answering a series of questions....

SCHEDULE 4 Descriptions of Work where no Building Notice or Deposit of Full Plans Required

2. Work which—
(a)is not in a kitchen, or a special location;
(b)does not involve work on a special installation;

I have read that, I deduce from that any work that is carried out as 2(a) or involves 2(b) is non-notifiable.
So work in kitchens, special locations and installations are notifiable.
A special installation would apply to installing an ELV light that is not pre-assembled and CE marked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back