BATHROOM LIGHTING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am changing my light fitting in my bathroom, its in an outside zone.

I am not an electrician-more competent DIYer

I have an old circuit board, picture attached.

I am trying to choose a suitable light fitting I have found this one.

Its IP44 rated but the instructions say - when fitting in a bathroom a 30mA RCD must be used.

1-Does this mean my board needs to be changed to have this type of light fitting? Or can I fit without the 30mA RCD as I have an old board?

2-Can one of these sit on top of a ceiling rose (like a plaster one but made from duro poloymore)? Or should it be flush to a ceiling?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What you need to ask is what is "like for like"?

The regulations allow one to repair like for like without updating to latest regulation or informing the LABC under Part P.

Many years ago my father-in-law said to me why not fill the RCD's as you will never forgive yourself if the children are injured.

I have two RCD's fitted with a fuse boxes very similar to yours. I will admit they do trip from time to time but they also tripped when mistakes have been made and likely both my son and I would have been injured without them.

OK my hobby does leave me in a position where I am more likely to touch live wires but it was not the electrical jobs that caused the RCD to open. Last one was to fit a water supply to fridge.

So my attitude would be if it's not broken it does not need fixing and if you want something different then it's simple pay out to comply or don't do work.

The fitting does seem to have some metal and so I would be looking for something else.

The Building regulations do not mention 'like for like' (where did that come from?) - merely 'replacement'.

You can 'replace' your light fitting with a 'replacement'.

I am trying to choose a suitable light fitting I have found this one.
Very sensible.

1-Does this mean my board needs to be changed to have this type of light fitting?
No.

Or can I fit without the 30mA RCD as I have an old board?
Yes.

2-Can one of these sit on top of a ceiling rose (like a plaster one but made from duro poloymore)? Or should it be flush to a ceiling?
Probably. If not there will be room for connectors in the base.

If the base is metal (rather than shiny plastic) there will be a connection for the earth wires.
Or you can obtain similar fittings with a plastic base.

http://www.discount-electrical.co.u...-gls-bc-240v--not-included----125mm-x-h-180mm

Sponsored Links
A workaround solution would be to fit an RCD fuse spur unit to the bathroom lighting circuit, that way you can change the fitting and comply with the instructions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back