Bathroom mirror light not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
recently moved into a house and the bathroom mirror light isn't working. the bulbs look fine, but i guess the first thing is to replace them to rule out that possibility. I haven't seen any of these type of bulbs in the pic below, what are they called and where (on line) could i get them from?

also, is there anything wrong with the wiring in the diagram (earth going nowhere)? there's current going through but the light isn't coming on.

light1.jpg

light2.jpg

light3.jpg

Sponsored Links
The earth should be terminated to a choc block.

And when you say theres current going through, what do you mean?

Those lamps are available in B&Q. Halogen capsules. They should have their voltage and wattage written on them.

By the way, halogen capsules are awful task lights.

Looks like a G4 capsule lamp, is there a transfomer on the end of that white cable.

are the lamp pins 4mm apart

And don't forget - don't touch the lamp capsule with your fingers or you risk them failing early or worse, exploding.

Sponsored Links
the fitting looks metal to me, so check to see if there is an earth terminal on it and if so attach the earth wire to that.

SB

cheers for replies so far.

I've checked with one of those electrical pens and it does register electricity going through all of the way through to the bulb.

Unfortunately, there are no markings on the bulbs so i don't know what wattage they are. I'll replace them with 12v 40w to check to see if the bulbs are faulty.
I'd say the gap between the prongs is about 4mm, but ill check tonight. If it is 4mm i assume i need the G4 capsules, as opposed to G6?

The white cables do go into a box on the back of the mirror - assume this is a transformer. Ill also take a look to see if theres anywhere obvious that the earth wire should go to - if not, ill blank it off in a connector.

will update once I've tested the above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back