Lighting for mirror in bathroom

I think Mythbusters did an experiment with a hairdryer and a bath of water, AND a GFCI (RCD)! Think the GFCI tripped once, out of 3 or 4 experiments, after about 2 minutes of immersion lol. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
I think Mythbusters did an experiment with a hairdryer and a bath of water, AND a GFCI (RCD)! Think the GFCI tripped once, out of 3 or 4 experiments, after about 2 minutes of immersion lol. :eek:

But if the bath wasn't bonded to earth there would be no route to earth, and if it was a plastic bath.............

But do the lighting properly as one hand on water tap and then the other touches a light with dodgy wiring and it could be fatal.

Dodgy includes when the earth wire in the 13 amp plug comes loose and finds its way to touch the live fuse......

DO IT PROPERLY

RF Lighting, when I said we were going to make our own, I meant about it being custom made to our liking by an electrician. I didn't mean that we were literally going to do the work ourselves. Sorry for making it sound that way. The most experienced electrician in our household knows only how to wire a three pin plug and that's about it.

So, will the electrician be able to conjure up something similar to what I'm asking, PROPERLY, or does everyone mean that it cannot be done whether an electrician does it or not? I mean, the lights would be secured high on the wall so no one's going to touch them, nor are they going to leap off the wall and jump into the shower!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Traveller said:
I would be more than happy to buy bathroom lighting instead of having to go to all the hassle of trying to codge (haha) one up, but haven't found anything like what I want.

Thanks.
Then keep looking or forget about it . It is not always possible to get what we want. But please do not be stupid & ignore the advice you have received, you may be lucky, somebody else may not be.

See http://www.amdea.org.uk/Forms/Bathrooms_Guidance.pdf
and http://www.beab.co.uk/live/NewsRel50.asp

Note the comments on how appliances are to be wired.

Your electrician is likely to tell you to go out and buy something off the shelf designed for the zone you want it installing in. I would be surprised if you found one who will make something up for a bathroom - risks of him going to prison when one of your children get killed is too great! As a starter you can see what the professionals reaction to your ideas on here were.

The manufacturers spend may thousands of pounds getting the lights they make tested for safety before they arrive on the Q&B shelves - If you can get one made how much testing will it undergo? How much water will be poured on it under test conditions to check it remains safe? How much are you prepared to pay for this testing?

I had a similar problem looking for a bathroom light - all the lights the wife liked were not suitably rated - she saw sense and and we have a correctly rated off the shelf light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back