Bathroom options in a terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for some advice on how to add a shower room/wc to my terrace house. The current situation is that access to the bathroom is through the back bedroom and therefore has caused issues when we have had guests. The waste pipes etc are at the back of the house.

We are trying to therefore create a solution for this and the options that we have come up with are:

a) a small WC downstairs (under stairs) with macerator running under floor boards to the back of the house. (we have a cellar that would allow for easy access to pipes etc.)

b) an ensuite in the front bedroom with as small a shower tray and toilet etc as possible. HOWEVER... the stairs run between the two bedrooms which would mean the en suite would have to be a bulkhead bathroom.

obviously an ensuite is preferable as it would allow us to get ready etc when guests are staying but I don't fully understand how bulkhead bathrooms work in terms of logistics such as waste pipes and ventilation.

Can anybody advise me as to how viable the en suite idea is? how would you deal with waste and ventilation and have access for maintenance?

I would really appreciate some advice from anybody thats had any experience of this and which one is the better idea.

Thanks

Bethany

Sponsored Links
If you go along the macerator route, you need to keep the existing toilet (assume this is on a standard 4" soil pipe) in case of problems with the macerator.

Ventilation, if no openable window is fitted to the room, then a fan is required. This can be set to come on when the light is turned on, then 'run on' on a timer after the room is vacated. Exhaust from fan would need to be ducted outside, probably via loft.

All depends on space available, can you afford to lose some space from the bedroom, fit a stud wall to form an area for the ensuite, if there is insufficient space otherwise? Alternatively, fit W.C. in understairs, then a shower cubicle (and basin if desired) in a corner of the bedroom. Depending on which way the joists run will affect ability to run the waste pipe out from the appliances to the drain from the 1st floor. A macerator can be used if logistics prevent an easy route for the waste, but bear in mind they are noisy, especially if people are sleeping in adjacent rooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back