Bathroom Painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi-Thanks for all the advice to date. I have recently decided after being married that I should change the colours in the main bathroom. Having used Dulux paint many a time, I think I will stick with the same. The walls and ceiling at the mo have been painted with flat matt I assume since I have not altered anything since moving in 10yrs ago! I intend using vinyl silk and soft sheen and the walls and ceiling at present are I suppose orange peeled from a roller. I intend to rub down lightly and then repaint. Should I use the product straight from the tin or thin the first coat? I intend changing the magnolia to something like Jasmine White from the Dulux range. If thinning, what ratio and with what? Many thanks for any information
Regards
p.s. I have had a quick search of the forum and if there is a link I have missed please point me there-lol

Sponsored Links
Hi-41 views and not even one piece of advice! Oh well....thanks for looking. If anyone even can paint me in the right direction it would be appreciated, as want the room to look nice.
Many thanks

Dulux tradetends to come up a little on the dry side..so a drop of water wont hurt.

Ratios...well it depends on the method of application..and the colour your using..I like to add a little drop of water to the paint to help it flow out and remove the orange peel a little

Short pile sleeves tend to leave less orange peel so you may not have to thin it too much.

Hope that helps

Zampa,
Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the information contained within. I will certainly take your advice and use it. I was ganna use the flat on the ceiling and a soft sheen for the walls, so that I could rub it occasionally to get rid of my messy fingers! Most of the posts I have checked certainly don't recommend paying the additional cost for the bathroom paints and I think I will pay heed given that the bathroom is very well vented etc. Many thanks again....Dulux trade centre is on my list

Sponsored Links
No schwet...

K and B paint, apart from the cost can be a real pig to apply...soft sheen is ok and will take a bit of stick,

As an alternative...acylic eggshell..its most or less the same as K and B paint but goes on easier...the Dulux version can be a bit sticky and IMO is one of their weakest products..

Johnstones do a good one though.

Zampa,
Thanks again. I think that I will stick with the sheen and the recommendation that you gave. Is there a dilution rate based on the size of the tin that you recommend? Is it suggestible to rub the walls with some fine grain paper to try and loose the orange peel which isn't too heavy being honest. Or do you think that two coats will resolve that issue? I assume that the second coat is straight from the tin and rollered neat?
Many thanks for your advice and taking the time

I doubt if youll need to thin the first coat if the walls are previously painted..just give the tin a good stir and go straight on with it

Zampa,
Many thanks-really appreciated that you have taken the time.
Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back