bathroom pull cord switch and light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, was looking for some help.. took down the bathroom ceiling, removed light & pull cord switch.. did not write down the wiring set-up.. doh! I have got to the stage where the bathroom light is now working, but the pull cord switch is not turning the light on or off.. the light just stays on!

can anyone please tell me how to wire the switch to the light.. From the switch end I have 2 red wires coming from the ceiling & thats all there is..

the light is wired up using a black, red & earth wire.. many thanks.. please help!

Sponsored Links
The permanent live red should go to Common sometimes looks like ~, and the other goes to L1. The earth wire should be sleeved in green/yellow and goes to the earth terminal.

Would appear you have them the other way round.

sorry, forgot to mention that there is no earth wire.. the bathroom light runs off the back bedroom light.. I tried the 2 red wires in common & L1, but the light just stayed on.. I then swapped them & tried that but the light still stayed on.. I even attempted running a red wire straight from the light to the pull cord switch & a black wire in the same fashion, but this just blew a fuse..

Sounds like it is wrong at the light rather than the switch
What colour and how many there

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it is wrong at the light rather than the switch
What colour and how many there

I agree, did you disturb the wiring at the light fitting as well?
Best have a look at the Wiki to see how it should be wired up.
Look HERE

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back