Bathroom radiator nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I'm in the process of putting a new bathroom in and I'm having a few issues with installing a new towel radiator. I'm not sure if it's because I'm doing something wrong or it's because ive bought a cheap radiator and valves. I'm relatively new to the world of plumbing so forget any incorrect terminology.

The radiator came with a bleed valve and a blank with seals to go on the top corners.... no issue there. The fittings for the bottom(Not sure what they are called) have no seal on them at all. I wrapped a load of ptfe take around them and screwed them in as best i could , but when i fit the valves connected it all up it drips like mad. Ive been doing the bathroom on a tight budget so im wondering if it's because ive bought the cheapest radiator and valves i could find

Sponsored Links
Most likely not put enough wraps of PTFE . at least 12 full turns ,and sometimes more !! And it should be wrapped in the direction of the thread.

Most likely not put enough wraps of PTFE . at least 12 full turns ,and sometimes more !! And it should be wrapped in the direction of the thread.
that's what i thought the first time it started dripping. So i took it off and put loads on....seemed to make it worse... and speaking of making things worse... it looks like the olive is jammed solid right on the end of the pipe... will not budge one way or the other. Don't want to cut it off as I'll be struggling for length

Last edited:
Which part is leaking? Is it where the tail screws into the radiator, or where the valve screws onto the tail, or where the pipe (probably with the olive in it) screws into the valve?

Sponsored Links
Which part is leaking? Is it where the tail screws into the radiator, or where the valve screws onto the tail, or where the pipe (probably with the olive in it) screws into the valve?
Where the tail screws into the radiator . Should there not be some sorry of seal on it? Its literally just ptfe tape on it

Ok I'll give fernox a go. Is fernox Any different to other jointing compound? I already have some that's all?

So are all towel radiators the same? just have a screw in tail with no seal of any sort?

Thanks for the help guys

Last edited:
Most radiators are the same. The tail, the part which screws into the female thread of the radiator, has a tapered thread on it. The further you screw it in, the tighter it gets. However, this is generally not enough to make a waterproof seal, so some form of sealant is used. Used to be hemp and Boss White, now generally PTFE tape. The number of wraps of tape required to make a seal depends on the fit between the taper threaded tail and the threaded hole in the radiator. Try dry fitting it first, using fingers only. If it easily screws right the way in then its a loose fit. In this case I'd start with 15 wraps, and use more if it didn't feel tight enough just before its fully home. If its a fairly tight trial fit, I'd start at 10 wraps.

PTFE tape is generally good enough. If it needs more than 15 wraps, I generally use Loctite 55. Others use Loctite 577 which is a liquid.

Ah i didn't realise it was a tapered thread. Is there a chance ive knackered the thread putting it in and taking it out a few times then? It seemed to be making worse the last time i put it in

I am not a plumber by trade. Loctite 55 has been my go to whenever PTFE has left me down.

BTW wind the Loctite 55 in a random rather than methodical way. The makers recommend that you slightly damage the thread to help it stay in place. I have never had the guts to do that though.

Ok ... latest update.... the only stuff mentioned in any of the solutions that i could find locally was the fernox. So ive just bought some. Applied some to the tread along with lashings ptfe tape screwed the tail into the radiator... i think the threads are totally goosed though. The tail screwed so far in that it totally cleared the thread o n the inside of the radiator. Ive managed to wind it back out and redo the lsx and tape and reinsert the tail .. but its not looking good ... there residual water in the radiator dripping out before ive even put and pressure on it

They replacement tails in screwfix that look like they have an o seal. Could i just fit those? Catalogue number 10954

Which threads to you think are totally " goosed " ,the radiator threads or the tails ?
Edit ,you can use the screwfix tails as long as the valve you are connecting to it is a 15 mm compression fitting. You may need to cut the valve tail to length to suit. And its wise to apply ptfe to the thread of the valve tail even though it has an " O " ring.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back