Bathroom RCD and Earth

U

User

Howdi I'm installing a hand dryer and heater close to a radiator in a bathroom (both in zone 3)

I've read that the new regs say you don't have to have supplementary bonding if you're using a RCD circuit

Since I'm wiring off the mains circuit (using 13a fcus) which is on the RCD side of the CU and not the non RCD protected light circuit does that eliminate the need for bonding the radiator

Do you think it's good practice to leave the standard bathroom ceiling light (zone 3) on the non RCD light circuit cus u don't want the light going off in the bathroom do u so do the regs exclude the ceiling light I wonder?

:D

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that under the 17th edition all new circuits in a bathroom must be RCD'd. If this is the case, then supplementary bonding isn't required. This means in your case since at the moment your lighting circuit isn't RCD'd, you will still need supplementary bonding.

Obviously if you RCD the light fitting (either by RCD'ing the entire circuit, or fitting one of those RCD FCU things), then at that stage you don't need the supplementary bonding.

I assume you've notified your LABC about this work, as anything in a bathroom is notifiable under Part P?

My understanding is that under the 17th edition all new circuits in a bathroom must be RCD'd. If this is the case, then supplementary bonding isn't required.

There's more to it than just stating if RCD protection (not exceeding 30mA) is in place then supplementary bonding can be omitted.

Have a read of 701.415.2

Monty, you need to bone up on 17th edition regs before you do any work.
As well as the bonding/RCD aspects; there isnt a zone 3 any more.......

Sponsored Links
Huh, no more zone 3:eek:? Bone up on 17th? Ah dang I'm tired of boning off 17th edition oh well back to the drawing board

Another quick q if you have electrical items in a bathroom running off the RCD protected mains circuit does the 4mm earth supplementary go to those and the light or just the non RCD light circuit?

Needs to connect to all the circuits supplying class 1 or class 2 equipment and all extraneous conductive parts in the location.

Can I ask another q all electrics to my shower room drop from under the 1st floor floorboards which I have easy access to currently and also all the pipework does too is it okay to just neatly connect everything above the showerroom or MUST it be actually inside the showerroom it's still the same pipework above the showerroom ceiling just more convenient and better looking I'll have access to the clamps cus they'd be behind a screwed on bath panel (bathroom above showeroom)

The bathroom is already supplementary bonded can I just connect the earths of the 2 downstairs circuits which go into the new showerroom onto the existing clamps of the bathroom bonding (those being connected to the upstairs 2 circuits i.e. is it okay to connect earths of different circuits on different floors together?)

Using both RCD's and supplementary bonding together can't cause problems can it?

I hope someone can answer these q's it takes awhile to digest all the new rules and regulations that keep comin out

Well I done as you requested sirs

GaryMo is what you're saying - Providing all final circuits of the location have additional protection, meet the requirements for automatic disconnection and the installation is fitted with effective protective main equipotential bonding, then supplementary equipotential bonding maybe omitted (701.415.2). That seems okay to me

Mr Taylortwocities there's no zone 3 but it seems it's just been renamed "outside of zones" what's the point why do they always have to complicate things it's still 2.25m and 0.6m who cares about the name?

Isn't that Zone 2?
There was reference to "outside of zones" in the 16th edition literature too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back