Bathroom Re- Build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As in the title I am about to re-build our bathroom. This will include a vanity unit. So far I have found only one thing that has me a little conserned and probly silly so I will ask on here so no one can see me asking silly questions. :oops:
The fitting for what I would call the ball cock, the bit the water goes into. The one suplied has a plastic fitting for the feed pipe. What should the pipe fitting be to conect this to the supply.
The instruction for fitting the tank inside the vanity unit are a bit limited. Should the tank be supported in the unit in some way. The vanity unit is linda if that helps.
I think I may be regular user of this site if this bit of DIY project gets any worse. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If I am correct in what you mean, then if you are using copper pipe, this

Efstraighttap.jpg

Don't forget to use a fibre washer

33589_P

Depends on the layout etc of the rest of your pipework but you'll probably need a 15mm x 1/2" tap connector of some sort. For anything with plastic threads I would use one with a rubber washer in it rather than a fibre washer. A good start would be a 1/2" flexible tap connector with built in isolation valve (search toolstation.com for product 77655) or a hepworth tap connector (google it).

If you're not heavy handed, nothing to worry about using the swivels, at a fraction of the cost of a flexi

Sponsored Links
Is it a concealed cistern in the vanity unit?, if so I preume the plastic pipe you mention is just that and doesn't have a thread, if so the cistern is usually supplied with a push fit elbow that will push on the plastic pipe and the other end pushes on to a 15mm pipe

I would still suggest a rubber washer if there's a plastic thread involved even with an endfeed tap connector. Better seal with less force needed so less risk of stripping threads.

:) Thanks for the help. I have had a look at what is supplied with the tank. The fittings are plastic screw thread so I agree with the ruber washer and not much efort to tighten. As the tank is consealed in the vanity unit I asume it is supported by the flush pipe as I cant see any suports built into the vanity unit. It is while since I did any bathroom fitting and was quite suprised how small the tank was. This must be an enviroment thing to use less water. :)

Be prepared to add some timber blocks or a piece of plywood etc. inside the unit to screw the cistern to. The units are often used in conjunction with a range of different WC suites, so the builders solve the problem of different cistern mounting arrangements by not providing any at all. The fixings dont have to look pretty if they are concealed, they just have to be strong enough.

The thought of a cistern just balanced on the flush pipe, which is just pushed into the flush cone on the pan.... :eek:

Older WCs used a 2 gallon / 9 litre cistern. Modern WCs are required to use a 6 litre flush or less to save water. The end result of that particular piece of legislation is often the need to flush the thing twice or more to clear the pan... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back