Bathroom tile......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some advice with tile size,my bathroom is approx 2m sq and i want to tile from floor to ceiling but cant decide on size of tile..I wanted to use 12"sq tiles,the thought being the bigger the tile the bigger the room will look but my wife doesnt agree,she wants to go for a smaller tile..Can anyone offer any advice???? :rolleyes: :?:

please note 1a forum rules, your other post (same question) has been removed

Sponsored Links
Humph said:
Need some advice with tile size,my bathroom is approx 2m sq and i want to tile from floor to ceiling but cant decide on size of tile..I wanted to use 12"sq tiles,the thought being the bigger the tile the bigger the room will look but my wife doesnt agree,she wants to go for a smaller tile..Can anyone offer any advice???? :rolleyes: :?:

We recently went through a similar decision on a slightly larger shower room. The conclusion we came to was, the larger the tile, the larger the room will appear. In the end I tiled floor to ceiling with 270mm w by 370mm h and the end result is great. I think smaller tiles would have closed the room in and make it look more "fussy". Just our preference however.

Good luck with your decision.

Colour is more important that tiles size, if your tyrying to create a spacious room than you need to go for bright highly glazed tiles with a a bright grout.

If you've got room and want more design then a stronger colour will do this or a contrasting grout.

Example, if you tile a wall in a white tile and grout it white, all you see is a white wall, the tile size becomes irrelevant, the only time the tile size is relevant is when you grout a different gcolour as you eye is naturally drawn to the grid of grout lines and not the tile surface.

There are also practicalities to consider, a larger tile in the shower means less grout to discolour, a mosaic means you need to be freindly with Mr Muscle!

So take a moment away from worrying about size and consider colour as more important.

Now where's my frilly cuffed shirt......I'm starting to sound like a desginer!

Sponsored Links
Why tile from floor-to-ceiling? You'll have a 1980s retro bathroom.

joe

We supply mosaic tiles. Most of our customers have very small bathrooms and the mosaic seem to make it look bigger. i would suggest you use a solid colour instead of a blend on the walls, and tile floor to ceiling.

Take a look at our prices there the most competative on the market.

www.mosaicobello.com

without a doubt, using larger tiles in a smaller room will provide the illusion of a greater space.

Large tiles ...

an as Mudster says mosaic means a lot of hassle with bathroom cleaners

1980s retro bathroom,ignore this most bathroom refits are wall to floor design now , ;)

most good tile shops will let you have samples to take home an place , but as said its all down to the wifes decision :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back