Bathroom tiling probem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to start preparing for retiling my toilet and bathroom (2 rooms)

However above the doors i have had fan lights (windows) and have got rid of these by inserting plasterboard so can hopefully tile all around and now have tiles above the door flush with the rest of the wall instaed of these windows.

My problem or what is concerning me is the door frames are ceiling high and are attached to a battern on the joist in the loft.

To make all the tiles flush i will need to put a sheet of 3mm or 6mm ply over the plasterboard in the recess the window once was. (This will then be level with the existing plastered wall). But then i have the door frame to deal with which is in between. Depending on the positioning of tiles i am more than likely going to have some tiles which is going to be stuck on different materials. i.e half on the plastered wall and half on the wooden door frame or half on ply and half on wooden frame.

This is quite hard to explain so any questions please ask. To simplify my wall above the door is this. Ply above door then wooden door frame (ceiling height) followed by plastered wall.

What i want to know is will this be ok as i dont want it to look naff and is there any special adhesive i should use as dont want tiles falling off also..
Any advice please

Sponsored Links
I think the reason no one has replied is cause it's not too clear what your question is.
Cheers,
Gcol

Hi

I think i know what you mean. Instead of ply can you not use plasterboard in between the frame (where old window was).

The tiles will still have to go over the door frame but so long as the tiles touch the plaster work either side of the frame they will be held no problem.

Before you start the tiling make sure a full tile bridges the frame and tile the rest of the room accordingly.

You will not need a different adhesive other than normall wall adhesive if you put plasterboard in the gap instead of ply

Hope that makes sense

Good look!! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back