Bathroom Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK;

I' getting ready to do my bathroom and have a couple of tiling questions
I successfully tiled my kitchen and as it was my first ever job it came out REALLY WELL. In doing so I picked up some good tips.

However in prep for the bathroom I have a couple of questions:

1. When tiling a bath should you tile the wall first and then fit the bath and seal between the two or should the bath be fitted first and the tiles applied on top of the bath?

2. If you fit the bath and then tile is there some form of edging that you use to sit on the bath like the kind I see used HERE and what tips can you give to seal the edge.

3. I am planning on removing the sink and in a similar fashion to the bath should I tile first and then fit the sink or tile around it.

4. Dependent on the answer to Q 3, how do I seal the sink, is there an edging strip or do you just use silastic?

5. General Tiling Question - How much adhesive should you apply to the wall, I mean how thick should it be? When you run the tile adhesive applicator along the wall should the applicator touch the tile leaving just ridges of adhesive, if that's the case what size applicator should be used for a wall tile?

Thanks in advance
[/url]

Sponsored Links
I' getting ready to do my bathroom and have a couple of tiling questions
I successfully tiled my kitchen and as it was my first ever job it came out REALLY WELL. In doing so I picked up some good tips.
Well done on your previous project but bathrooms require a little more thought & prep than kitchens & the potential for getting it wrong is much higher. Read tiling sticky & forum archive posts for more info before you go any further to avoid making potentially disastrous & expensive mistakes. If you’re also tiling a suspended floor it needs special consideration; again, read tiling sticky & forum archive posts. Come back with questions as & when you need.

1. When tiling a bath should you tile the wall first and then fit the bath and seal between the two or should the bath be fitted first and the tiles applied on top of the bath?
Fit the bath first & then tile the wall so the tiles overlap the bath; leave a 2mm gap, fill the bath to the overflow with water, silicone & leave it overnight; empty bath in the morning.

2. If you fit the bath and then tile is there some form of edging that you use to sit on the bath like the kind I see used HERE and what tips can you give to seal the edge.
Personally I would never use any sort of trim; IMO they are bulky, look dreadfull & just shout DIY; a thin bead of quality bathroom silicone correctly applied (see above) will look good, work just as well if not better & last.

3. I am planning on removing the sink and in a similar fashion to the bath should I tile first and then fit the sink or tile around it.
It depends; if your just doing a splash back you can do either, tile behind & fit or tile down to & around the sink; if your full or ½ tiling, tile it first & then fit the sink.

4. Dependent on the answer to Q 3, how do I seal the sink, is there an edging strip or do you just use silastic?
As above, a quality bathroom silicone bead every time m8.

5. General Tiling Question - How much adhesive should you apply to the wall, I mean how thick should it be? When you run the tile adhesive applicator along the wall should the applicator touch the tile leaving just ridges of adhesive, if that's the case what size applicator should be used for a wall tile?
The type of adhesive & how much of it you use depends on the trowel you use & that depends if you’re tiling an uneven or perfectly flat surface; if it’s a wet or dry area; the size/type of tiles you’re using. As I said, do some more research & come back with specific questions, it could prevent you making potentially disastrous & expensive mistakes. ;)

Many thanks for the replies, ill read the sticky and search other posts.

What would you consider to be a "quality" bathroom sealer?

Sponsored Links
I like to use Forever white sealant, it helps stop black mould and also contains microban, although is a little harder to work that normal silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back