Bathroom tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me I have purchased tiles for my bathroom the size is 60 x 30cm my bath wall is 1700 and side wall is 1000 can anyone tell me how to get a brick affect on these walls.

Sponsored Links
Brick weave is pretty self explanatory so I assume you mean how to plan the best layout? Normally, with any tiling you plan the layout from the central point of the wall/floor in question but it depends on individual circumstances which need to take account of windows, doors & the location of the sanitary ware. The standard rule often has to be bent or even ignored altogether in order to get that “all important” visual impact when you first walk in the room. It’s almost impossible to plan without seeing the room so you it’s going to be trial & error but getting brick weave to look right with large tiles can be a challenge, especially on small walls; avoid thin tile slips & uneven tiles at corners at all costs.

You’ve also picked some pretty large tiles, what tiles are they & do you know the weight? More importantly, what are you tiling onto? Plaster has a weight limit & with that size tile you may be exceeding it but it depends on tile material & how thick they are. Tiles that size must be laid using a powder cement adhesive, not tub ready mix or they may never set; you must get the prep right.

When tiling or re-tiling, there are many things that can catch you out. With walls, you need to consider tile weights, prep & materials & suspended timber floors need special consideration. I would advise you read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts before doing any work or buying materials, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. It’s also important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base, cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

It makes it much easier to plan your layout if you make up a tile stick.

Lay a 4ft or so row of tiles out with the grout spacings you intend to use, then mark off the spacing on to a peice of batten. If as in your case they are not square lay a row out the other way and mark up the other side of the stick, diffrent colour felt tip can save confusion.
It's then easy to hold the stick up and figure what layout looks best. Much simpler than balancing tiles up against the wall or trying to measure them hand over hand!

Regards,
footprints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back