Bathroom / toilet flush problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our bathroom toilet has started to back up a bit when flushed. Having thought there was a blockage I've had a 25 foot snake down both the toilet and bath waste - pulled a few small bits of hair out but no major blockage detected. Also been hammering the plunger like mad...

When the full flush is used, water now gurgles up in the bath so I though this was a problem with the AAV on the internal stack. I'm no plumber but from what I've read, and now having had it out for inspection, I don't think it's faulty and it also appears to have been fitted at the right height etc. however, with it off, the toilet flushes fine.

Now, when I was using the snake last weekend I also threw about 10 buckets of water down the loo in the hope this would free any blockage. I stopped when the missus noticed water on the patio, coming from the drain. I thought this was because of the sheer volume of water I'd chucked down there and the rain we've had of late but I can't get the cover up to look.

To you experts out there, does this sound like a problem in the main drain or a problem local to the upstairs bathroom? We don't appear to have any problems with drainage from the kitchen sink which is closest to the outside drain. Is it a job for the water board or do I have other internal possibilities to explore first?

Any tips appreciated (please bear in mind I am a total layman with plumbing).

Cheers

Al

Sponsored Links
You'll have to lift up that inspection chamber cover mate, and see what lurks within....try using the corner of a garden spade or similar.
The chamber should be empty.
John :)

Blocked soil stack/man hole.

As said above, lift up manhole cover and report back.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Cheers

Easier said than done as the cover is a york stone slab...

Any ideas as to the sort of drain keys I'd need to lift this?

I was thinking of simply calling the water board as I don't know if it's a blockage in my waste pipe or the shared sewer and as it's the first call out they don't charge if the problem turns out to be in my drain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back