Bathroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a problem with running (chased,capped and plastered) cables down a upstairs bathroom wall to feed outlets in the room below?

Sponsored Links
as long as there is an indication on the surface, that there is a cable hidden below, then its ok.

A blank accessory plate, on a metal backbox, would be sufficient. Have the cable run through this uninterrupted, then its presence and location is apparent.

As long as the cable runs straight vertically or horizontally from this point, then its ok and complies with regs.

Sponsored Links
No, you CANNOT.

The regs clearly state that any wiring in a bathroom (or other special location that is similar) must only supply equipment there-in.

Cables burried just below the surface are included in this as per a recent article. Cables inside a stud wall seperating a bathroom from another is generally excluded.

I wasn't aware of that one, and if that is a reg, why has it only just been picked up? Considering I posted my initial reply the best part of 5 hours ago?

We have cables buried in the bathroom (with no indication :oops: ) that supply the upstairs lights - is this ok, given they supply the bathroom lights?

according to our lecturer

all items in a bathroom should be off an rcd.. including the light..
he sugests that a fused spur off an rcd protected ringmain or similar be used to supply the bathroom lights.. ( or from a towel radiator supply etc.. )

He is wrong.

In some (rare) circumstances RCD is required for the bathroom light etc, but in most it is not.

There is talk of introducing this with the 17th edition regs, but this is not decided yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back