bathroom window cill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of renovating my bathroom. On of the things that I really want to exchange is bathroom window cill. The current one is/was made of MDF and is started to bubble and looked very awful (too much moisture).

I removed it and now cannot find any replacement :)

I think I'd like to go for PVC/UPVC window cill unless someone can advise me otherwise?

It also has to be more than 200mm in depth as this is the distance from the window to the wall.

Where do one buy window cills? What are my options?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
2 bits off 5x1" planed glued will give you 20x 238mm width then plane sand router the moulding you want

Sponsored Links
I've installed similar stuff in the past on council house works. It came with profiled end caps that were trimmed to size. The whole plot was held in place with GripFill

Hi,

I'm in the process of renovating my bathroom. On of the things that I really want to exchange is bathroom window cill. The current one is/was made of MDF and is started to bubble and looked very awful (too much moisture).

I removed it and now cannot find any replacement :)

I think I'd like to go for PVC/UPVC window cill unless someone can advise me otherwise?

It also has to be more than 200mm in depth as this is the distance from the window to the wall.

Where do one buy window cills? What are my options?

Thanks in advance!

Do not go for plastic. It scratches too easily.
If window board is to be painted -- you can use MDF.
MDF will not bubble- unless water or moisture gets to the edges.
To cut a long story short- go get a length of MDF and cut it to suit the size you want -- including the 'tongue' if that is how it is fitted.
Get GREEN 'waterproof MDF and get someone you may know with a 'router' to 'edge it' and 'tongue it' .
Then paint it before fitting- making sure the edeges are well sealed.
Also- just silicone the 'cut' edges and rub it in with your finger. (3rd finger -left hand' is best !! :LOL:

Then fit it- .
Seal it- and it will last- no shortcuts though .

Laminated MR chipboard bullnose window boards are available from Eurocell - think in terms of a thin version of kitchen worktops. They also sell plastic trims to cover the cut ends.
I would not use plastic/uPVC as it will scratch easily.

if you want plastic then go for it yes it can scratch over time but its easy to fit and cheap you will have some spare from the full length if it scratches just put another one on its what i would do in a bathroom get it delivered from eurocell and stick it on with silicone neutral cure they willl even supply end caps

If you are renovating your own bathroom are you tiling the walls?
If you are then get rid of window cill or boards on the inside altogether and tile the whole window opening.
We did it in a bathroom and a showerroom.
It looks much better than any timber, MDF or cheap plastic finish and it lasts.
Just remember to have a slight slope away from the window to stop water running and collecting at the window frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back