bathroom z2 questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm planning on adding under-cabinet lighting above the bathroom sink.

I've bought an LED lighting set on the advice of the salesman in a lighting shop and I'd like to know what my options are for installing it before I get the electrician in.

Firstly, the sink is semi-recessed into a plywood half-ledge that runs the length of the room and boxes in the pipework toilet cistern etc. Is the boxed-in area under the basin still zone 2 or is it treated the same as the area under a bath? I'd like to put the driver for the LED lights here as it will minimise disruption to tiling. The driver is IP68.

Secondly, is it acceptable to use an IP67 switch (something like this: https://www.rapidonline.com/product...ated+vandal+resistant+switches&moduleno=81479 ) instead of a pull-cord in zone 2? The LED set doesn't have a built in switch so ideally I'd have the push switch on the front of the boxing, the driver behind and the cables running through an existing channel behind the tiling.

Many thanks for your advice
Liz

Sponsored Links
stupid question, why cabinets above the sink? first time you bend down to wash your face you're going to bump your head..

stupid question, why cabinets above the sink? first time you bend down to wash your face you're going to bump your head..

The cabinet's only 15cm deep and the sink has a 15cm ledge at the back,so it doesn't extend over the sink itself.

I'll bang my head on the tap before I hit the cabinet :D

Many extra low voltage lamps are supplied by inverters rather than transformers and require the load never to be removed from the inverter so only the input should be switched.

Your link failed.

Because of the rules with lights in a bathroom it is hard to say what you would be allowed to do. In the main you are better leaving everything to the electrician.

In theory there are modular lamps you can fit yourself using a plug and socket arrangement and CEE marked. In Practice I have never seen any and I would think it is something put into the regulations to allow these to be made in the future.

There are loads of options but near every one will require a registered electrician. Even battery operated units unless CE marked and designed for bathrooms in theory need a registered electrician to fit them if they are fixed.

I think Part P is daft but it is still law. So not much you can do without breaking the law.

Sponsored Links
Your link failed.

Thanks - now corrected

Because of the rules with lights in a bathroom it is hard to say what you would be allowed to do. In the main you are better leaving everything to the electrician.

Hi Eric - I do intend to get an electrician to fit the lights. I'm asking questions partly because I would like to have some idea of what is allowed and also so I know what decorating jobs I can get on with now and what needs to be left until the lights are done.

Thanks
Liz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back