Bathroom Zones/notifiable work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I apologise if this question has already been answered in the forums, I have searched but have been unable to find anything that answers my questions.

I want to install an above shower extractor to reduce damp in the bathroom. The extractor I have found is in-line, so the fan itself is in the attic, so no problem with zones there. My question is on switching. Don't want the new extractor switched with the light, as an extractor already exists switched with the light. Need the additional extractor as it gets very steamy and damp in the bathroom. Want it to be independently switched, by pull cord, to turn on when you use the shower.

Firstly, is the ceiling above a zone 2 wall in a bathroom also considered zone 2? Or does the ceiling above zone 2 class as what used to be zone 3? (height from floor to ceiling, 2.5m.) There is an old pull cord switch on the ceiling by the shower in this particular zone (see photo), and it would certainly be convenient to be able to remove that old switch and use the existing hole to feed new cable for a new pull cord switch for the extractor.

Secondly, can a switched FCU be installed in zone 3 in a bathroom? I could install the FCU above the door next to the controls for the existing extractor (see photo, 2.3m from floor, 1m from shower cubicle to wall, 1.5m from shower head to wall). Personally, I'm erring on the side of putting the FCU on the other side of the wall in the hall, but technically is it allowable in zone 3 in a bathroom?

And thirdly, because this work involves installation in a bathroom, is it notifiable work? The extractor itself as I said will be in the attic, it's in-line with the ducting so has no contact with the bathroom so that itself isn't notifiable, but the addition of a pull cord switch in the bathroom may be.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Goes without saying, it's covered by 30mA RCD. Would spur it from sockets ring covered by RCD, hence the need for switched FCU which would be fused at 3A, the pull cord switching the live supply to the transformer supplying the fan in the attic. Installation is simple, it's the legalities of notification and whether technically the pull cord is allowable that close to the shower and whether the FCU is allowed in what used to be zone 3 that I'm concerned about.

For notifying look here in Wiki Section
For bathroom zones look here in Wiki Section
As already stated as a new installation it must follow current rules so will need RCD protection.
701.512.3 Erection of switchgear, controlgear and accessories according to external influences
The following requirements do not apply to switches and controls which are incorporated in fixed current-using equipment suitable for use in that zone or to insulating pull cords of cord operated switches.
In zone 0:
switchgear or accessories shall not be installed.
In zone 1:
only switches of SELV circuits supplied at a nominal voltage not exceeding 12 V a.c. rms or 30 V ripple-
free d.c. shall be installed. the safety source being installed outside zones 0. 1 and 2.
In zone 2:
switchgear. accessories incorporating switches or socket-outlets shall not be installed with the exception of:
(i) switches and socket-outlets of SELV circuits, the safety source being installed outside zones 0. 1 and 2. and
(ii) shaver supply units complying with BS EN 61558-2-5.
Except for SELV socket-outlets complying with Section 414 and shaver supply units complying with BS EN 61558-2-5, socket-outlets are prohibited within a distance of 3 m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1.
I think that about covers your question?
Notifying is not an easy question to answer as it could be within the limits set for bathroom and also could be classed as new circuit.
As to new circuit I would consider if you would under the IET rules you would issue an installation certificate then it's a new circuit if you would issue a minor works certificate it's not. Forms Are available here there is a basic description with them saying how to fill them in and which one should be used where.

You will see as electricians we have been debating what needs notifying at some length and we have not really agreed as to what a new circuit is. Not an issue here in Wales it is only in England where it becomes an issue.

Not sure that's true...

It is only notifiable if it is in the zones. No Z3 now. Use the diagram in the wiki & work out whether the switch is in the zones.

Sponsored Links
Not sure that's true... It is only notifiable if it is in the zones. No Z3 now. Use the diagram in the wiki & work out whether the switch is in the zones.
...except that eric has just suggested that it might count as a 'new circuit' (which would obviously make it notifiable). However, even given that, as eric says, there's a debate going on, I doubt that many people would agree with him in this case. If this were a (notifiable) 'new circuit', then so would anything wired via an FCU (including all fused spurs from sockets circuits) - which, IMO, would be ridiculous.

Kind Regards, John

(height from floor to ceiling, 2.5m.)
Anything above 225cm from floor level is outside the zones, and therefore not notifiable.

Having 2 extractors in the same room is not going to work properly as one will inevitably be more powerful than the other.
If the existing extractor is not sufficient, either replace it with another, or remove it completely and fit another one elsewhere as you intended.

Also check that there is sufficient airflow into the room with the door and window closed - this is usually provided as a 10mm gap under the door, and the extractor positioned as far from the door as possible.
Without a way for air to enter the room, any extractor will be useless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back