Bathrrom ceiling paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did some work for customer and they asked me to have a look at their bathroom ceiling.It was flaking over the shower.I removed all the flaking paint filled and primed it then top coat.

After about 6 months it was flaking again,she got another decorator in.His work was flaking in 2 weeks!!
She has a small extractor in the bathroom but its not over the shower.

She has asked me to do some other work but also to redo the ceiling while I'm there (She will be paying)

My question is will there be any point with a fan that isnt big enough for the room?Is their a paint or primer that will withstand the moisture?

It seemed that when I removed the flaking paint the last time that the ceiling had not been primed as it was right back to plaster.

Sponsored Links
Might be better to use an oil based paint, it may withstand the moisture a bit more. Tell he she needs a bigger extractor fan as well.

you may want to go up in attic and check insulation to make sure you dont have a moisture problem there also..if you dont have a ceiling vent fan in bathroom the moisture from within is causing problem..open window after showers!!Over time the excessive moisture WILL do damage. I think one of your priorities should be to install one. A window is often not enough because the steam rises right to the ceiling.

Not trying to tell a decorator what to use, But I have used Dulux Kitchen & Bathroom Emulsion in my bathrooms for a lot of years without a dedicated extractor fan & never hed peeling & flaking.
JonB

Sponsored Links
Thing is jonb is that its not just the type of product that you put on. It can depend on a lot of different factors ie where the house is, type of house, position of the bathroom within the house etc,etc. Some bathrooms just dont get mould or condensation problems. Good ventilation and insulation is the key really as condensation is caused by warm are touching a cold surface and non movement of air. Doesnt matter what its painetd with, it can still get mould forming on the surface. Its not neccessarily got any mould just because a kitchen and bathroom paint has been used.

I prefer oil based Satinwood. Lasts for years and years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back