Bathtub plumbing access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Watching random videos online got me thinking about the plumbing in my bathroom, which led me to realise access to the bathtub plumbing is not clear. I don't have any issues right now, the flat downstairs is unoccupied but the owners to pop along occasionally so would have hoped they noticed a wet ceiling!

I bought the flat last year and think it was refurbished 2011 or 2015, but alternative evidence of being old is that the bath sink tap is all connected using copper pipes and no flexible hoses.

I read forum posts and checked stuff like a tile siliconed up and checking for painted over screws but I can't seem to spot anything and it all seems to be grouted up nicely and tiles stuck. I haven't tried any methods where grouting needs to be scraped off, not have I used much force.

Also then I realised that the area is pretty tight anyway as the loo is not far away. The raised tile with the stain isn't very neatly put on so I am thinking this may have been used for any previous access? Or it is just badly done!

The back of the bath is against a party wall and the side is against a hollow wall in my living room so just would like to know what to expect if there ever is a leak or need to change taps or anything. There are a few extra tiles left in the kitchen under the sink which is helpful.

Are there any things I can check right now or any thoughts you have on how one might access it? I get hung up on things like this, do I just need to force it to back of mind until there is an issue as it will required destruction in that area?

Thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_20200424_081704.jpg
    IMG_20200424_081704.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_20200424_081722.jpg
    IMG_20200424_081722.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_20200424_081735.jpg
    IMG_20200424_081735.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_20200424_081749.jpg
    IMG_20200424_081749.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_20200424_081758.jpg
    IMG_20200424_081758.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 270
Sponsored Links
TBH, if it was me I'd like to have access created now, when you can do it leisurely rather than at 2am when a washer/fitting goes and there's piles of water pouring through downstairs ceiling.

Either that or make it easy to shut all the water off in the flat in seconds.

Thanks for the responses, looks like there is no way to get to it normally then based on the pictures.

Its an old victorian converted to flats so the indoor stopcock is a hatch under the floorboards next to the front door downstairs, covered in cobwebs I believe! That is easy enough. So if the consensus is that the area needs to be re-jigged, its currently 1-1 on when, any other takers?

In the back of my mind I am hoping to buy a house down the line and sell this but a few years away from that!

Sponsored Links
so the indoor stopcock is a hatch under the floorboards next to the front door downstairs, covered in cobwebs I believe
Has this tap been tried, does it work properly?

TBH ..... If it's separate flats then they should all have their own internal stop taps. The scenario just now would be that everyone loses their water if there was a major leak, not ideal. There would also have to be communal agreement/notification for the water to be shut off when work was to be carried out in an individual's flat, again not ideal. If the water was to be turned off and then back on then each individual flat would need to be checked to ensure that nothing had given way when the water was turned back on and that the water had been run to ensure it was clear of any debris, which can typical in an old property with old pipework.

Food for thought?

Thank you

Each flat does have its own stop cock, there are all located in that hatch next to each other downstairs.

I will test my one to ensure it works. Might just do it on a Monday morning when the lockdown is over so I can quickly call someone if anything goes or seems wrong.

The club hammer was invented for situations like this....I've ripped apart many kitchens/bathrooms.
Easy maintainance comes above aesthetics...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back