Batten nail tape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm an enthusiastic DIYer and I've just started my first project that involves some roofing. I'm building a small lean-to type extension with a fairly shallow pitch roof which I intend to slate with Marley Eternit slates. The basic roof structure is covered with OSB; 1) to tie everything together and 2) to provide a safe working platform whilst finishing the roof. I read that a breathable membrane should be used for the undersarking and that nail tape should be used under the battens to prevent the holes caused by the batten nails becoming potential leak points. You will have to excuse my DIYers naivity but here is my problem.... With a flat deck (OSB) and the battens effectively sealed to the breathable membrane by the nail tape won't any rainwater which found its way under the tiles due to extreme weather conditions just sit behind the battens having no way of running off? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
When you board a roof first you need to fit counter battens (running parallel with the rafters) under your tile battens.

Thanks for the quick response. I'd heard of counter-battening but never seen a roof being constructed using them nor did I really understand their purpose. Seems obvious now :).

unvent-insulateboard.png

Sponsored Links
no need for osb the battens will tie it together, sounds too flat for slates?

Thanks Jontop,
Regarding the pitch it's 15 degrees which is the minimum recommended for Eternit slates so you're right, it was close.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back