Battery Terminal problems

http://www.electricalcarservices.com/japanese-c-55_227.html

1-017-01a.jpg
or
Battery%20terminals%20001.jpg

??

Sponsored Links
Presumably its only the alternator charging light that is dimly glowing?
This is usually a demise of the alternator slip rings, deep inside, and eventually the alternator will give up but they can go on for ages like this.
However, check over the wires leading into the back of the alternator for cleanliness first, and also all of the main battery earth leads.
John :)

keep it going, 5 pages long now on how to change a battery terminal! :LOL:

:D

BEST......thread.......EVER!

I can keep it going a little more if you like?
I just took the car out for 45 minutes and it had no problems at all. It didn't cut out and I got no dim warning lights whatsoever?
Still, I'm not convinced that it'll be the same come tomorrow morning!

:D

Sponsored Links
But now that you have the terminal fixed are the faint lights coming on in the dash? I hope not as the bad connection may have been causing this.

Are they on when you rev the engine or at tick over?

Hi Mursal. They were on this morning only. I have been out twice since and the car has been fine? No warning lights, not even faint ones.
Perhaps it just needed a reset? Hopefully thats been done now.

Maybe a failing alternator has caused that green gloop to build up on the battery terminals, and eaten away at them, due to the acid build up, but the alternator remains faulty?

Or the continual connect/disconnect of the battery has damaged the alternator?

Or a 10 year old battery is faulty, the terminals of the battery are worn, and rather than mess about fitting new connectors, a new battery would have fitted what was there already? And the alternator still can't charge the broken/faulty battery, because it is still faulty, but more securely clamped?

Maybe a failing alternator has caused that green gloop to build up on the battery terminals, and eaten away at them, due to the acid build up, but the alternator remains faulty?

Or the continual connect/disconnect of the battery has damaged the alternator?

Or a 10 year old battery is faulty, the terminals of the battery are worn, and rather than mess about fitting new connectors, a new battery would have fitted what was there already? And the alternator still can't charge the broken/faulty battery, because it is still faulty, but more securely clamped?

The battery is 5 months old max. The clamp wouldn't tighten fully around the new battery. The clamp was old and rusted badly, and needed to be changed.
The car started this morning and I had no warning lights and everything, for the moment, seems back to normal. I'd say it was the continual connect/disconnect of the battery that was causing the car to reset. The thing to do there is to drive it for a decent distance, reset the electric windows and hopefully the alternator charges the battery up fully again. I've done that much, and so far, so good. If it now holds it's charge I'll be happy!
I won't be driving it again for the rest of the day. Tomorrow afternoon I have a 2 hour drive ahead of me and I'll know a lot more about this then! :)
Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Back