Battery to USB Power Pack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,

I have a rotisserie that is powered by 2 x 2D batteries, I would like to run it from a power bank.

I wouldn’t mind tinkering with it to get a good solution.

Could anyone offer a solution?

Thank you.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Sponsored Links
Devices like this exist...

I'm afraid I can't comment on their efficacy, but it seems to be rated at 1.0A at 3.00V, which should be sufficient for your 300mA draw.

A more permanent solution, would be to make a cut out and mount a USB socket, soldering on the connections - but at least this could be a proof of concept.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

I'm afraid I can't comment on their efficacy, but it seems to be rated at 1.0A at 3.00V, which should be sufficient for your 300mA draw.

A more permanent solution, would be to make a cut out and mount a USB socket, soldering on the connections - but at least this could be a proof of concept.
Thank you, I’ll take a look.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
It may be simpler to use Rechargeable Cells and a charger, especially if you happen already to have a suitable charger.
Thank you FrodoOne. I’ve ordered the eliminator that RandomGrinch suggested as it was cheap and worth a try.

If that don’t work out, I’ll definitely be buying rechargeable batteries.

I do like the idea of soldering something maybe a jack port and connecting to a power bank so will look further.

Thank you FrodoOne. I’ve ordered the eliminator that RandomGrinch suggested as it was cheap and worth a try.

If that don’t work out, I’ll definitely be buying rechargeable batteries.

I do like the idea of soldering something maybe a jack port and connecting to a power bank so will look further.
I've made several of those for Christmas string lights. Connected to a smart socket. Standard USB voltage (5v) works fine for a 3 cell (4.5v) unit.
May be easier to buy one of the ebay ones for 2 cell items where the volt needs to be reduced to 3 volt.

Thank you, this came today and works great. Obviously the true test will be the battery drain.

eBay for a wall wart / mains adaptor that outputs 3v, and either

Take the panel off, and solder/crimp/ other connector to the internal wiring or

Cut pieces of dowel to the size of the batteries, and use these to squeeze the bare ends from the wall wart against the terminals as they are

If you are able to soldering, etc.. You could cut the end off a surplus USB lead, then connect two, maybe three 1N4000 diodes in series with the USB output, to drop the volts down to the 3v you need.
Thank you Harry, I would love to give this a try, I’ve soldered before but never with diodes and stuff.

Thank you Harry, I would love to give this a try, I’ve soldered before but never with diodes and stuff.

A silicon diode, forward biased, will drop around 0.6/0.7v at it's output. 5v -0.6, -0.6, -0.6v is around 3.2v, which is near enough, the voltage of your two cell in series.

So just solder the three diodes, to the 5v +ve of the USB supply, in series, each with the white bar, orientated with the white ring furthest away from the 5v positive.

5v+---->!---->!---->!----3.2v
_______________________________ -ve

A silicon diode, forward biased, will drop around 0.6/0.7v at it's output. 5v -0.6, -0.6, -0.6v is around 3.2v, which is near enough, the voltage of your two cell in series.

So just solder the three diodes, to the 5v +ve of the USB supply, in series, each with the white bar, orientated with the white ring furthest away from the 5v positive.

5v+---->!---->!---->!----3.2v
_______________________________ -ve
Thank you Harry, where would I buy these diodes from? I cannot find them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back