Baxi 105e Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone Help me please.

I had a Baxi 105e Combi bolier fitted about 2 years ago. I moved into my house 4 bed Detatched about a year ago. For my first Winter here I received a huge £347 gas bill (quater). I was little concerned about the boiler and started reading through the instructions.

I was under the impression that the bolier is suppose to work as follows:

1. Heating and Water comes on as per timer.
2. Rads warm up - Burner ON neon light is illuminated.
3. After reaching a certain temp the Burner light should go off (so the gas is not burning ???)
4. When required the burner should start up again and switch off agan when reached certain temp.

My problem is that the burner light didn't seem to be going off unless I turn down the Hot Water temp control. I had the setting at about 7 o'clock. Is that too high? I have recently set the temp control at about 3 o'clock and this seems to switch the burner off and starts up after a few minutes. It then switches off again and carries on with that sequence.

I have thermostat controls on all my radiators, but some rads seem to operate differently. When I set the thermostats on some radiators to 5 (max) their really hot, others are not so hot ?? How should I be setting my thermostats on the rads and how should I set the temp control on my Boiler. Could their be a fault on my bolier ?? Are my rads balanced correctly - how can they be balanced. Basically what I'm after is the best way to have my rads setup to keep my house warm and keep the bills as low as possible.

Excuse the ignorance in my knowledge of boilers and central heating.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you had a baxi 105 fitted 2 years ago
you moved into your house 1 year ago
are we still talking about a baxi 105 or have you moved house? did it take you a year to move in?

Yup took me a year to move in !! was a little lazy on the DIY !!!

Sponsored Links
harsh said:
1. Heating and Water comes on as per timer.

heating will come on and off as timer requires, dhw will be instantaneous as you switch on a hot tap.
harsh said:
3. After reaching a certain temp the Burner light should go off (so the gas is not burning ???)

the burner doesn't burn at one rate and then switch off when it reaches temperature it burns at one rate and then reduces the amount gas according to the heat called for. eventually when the heat is satisfied it will switch off but this can take some time depending on the heat loss properties of your house.

harsh said:
My problem is that the burner light didn't seem to be going off unless I turn down the Hot Water temp control.

is this when the central heating is on and no hot taps are running?
harsh said:
I had the setting at about 7 o'clock. Is that too high?

it depends on how hot you want the house. everyones comfort level will differ. the lower you have the temp control the cheaper the boiler will be to run.

harsh said:
When I set the thermostats on some radiators to 5 (max) their really hot, others are not so hot ??

the setting on the thermostat doesn't control the heat of the radiator it adjusts whether the radiator is on or off according to the ambient heat in the room. so for instance if you had the thermostat set to number 3 and number3 on the thermostat was 20 degrees. if the room heat was 20 degrees the radiator could conceiveably be cold because the thermostat has switched it off.

harsh said:
Could their be a fault on my bolier ??

yes

harsh said:
Are my rads balanced correctly

did you have them balanced?

harsh said:
how can they be balanced.

you'll need a thermometer on the flow pipe and a thermometer on the return pipe. you then adjust the lockshield valve untill you have around 11 degrees difference between the 2 readings. it's not easy as the boiler keeps firing in and blasting hw to the radiator. my opinion is near enough is good enough.se would be greatly appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back