Baxi Bermuda 551 - not switching off - problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I have very recently had a gas safe engineer remove and re-install the "tray" (as he called it) from my Baxi Bermuda 551 boiler. Everything works except for one aspect. There is a clock-like dial which I assume is some kind of temperature dial. Off...1 to 6 are on the dial.
No matter what number I choose on the dial, the boiler stays on until the water is so hot the whole system starts banging......and then I manually turn the boiler off. Before I ring the boilerman again and start pointing fingers, I thought I would post this on here for independant view. Does anyone have some ideas whats maybe going on here? There are some bare copper wires attached to this "tray", approx 1-2mm in diameter , maybe a foot in length. What are they and where should they generally go? (thinking that this is something to do with temperature). How does this boiler detect temperature anyway?
Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
The "tray" is the controls and burner assembly.
It may be that he forgot to refit the thermostat sensing phial when refitting the tray. This is a mechanical thermostat and cheap to replace if in fact it has failed. Cannot say what the copper wire could be. You don't say what the original call was for, but this is a fault which requires urgent attention.

Yes it could be just one wire.....and it could be the thermostat. Where should the ends go? It was working fine.....and so I'm guessing something has got disturbed during removal/installed process. Could be as simple as a faulty electrical connection, I really dont know.
I'm just going by memory what the unit looks like when the guy had the front face/cover off........

Sponsored Links
Please get your man back before you have an explosion. Meanwhile, leave it turned off. He may have forgotten to put the sensing phial on the end of the copper capillary back in its pocket. It's a mistake we've probably all made - once.

Its an easy mistake to make.

More annoying when you have sent a newly qualified trainee to do the service and he forgets and YOU have to waste your time going back to refit it.

Another good reason not to have trainees!

Tony

I think you may have solved this. Thanks to all for contributing to this post. I will keep switched off and call him back.

Please get your man back before you have an explosion. Meanwhile, leave it turned off. He may have forgotten to put the sensing phial on the end of the copper capillary back in its pocket. It's a mistake we've probably all made - once.

Don't be ridiculous, it can't explode, unless it is a seald system with other faults, and it is not likely to be sealed.

The MAJOR danger is that it is likely to pour scalding water into the header tank, which COULD melt the tank, and cause boiling water to cascade into a bedroom with potentially lethal results.

So, yes, discontinue use and phone your fitter. I can't quite understand why you haven't already.

Yes here here call the fitter back it might be something v easy to sort out

Well most of us already know what it is.

Even if it were something not simple then its still the responsibility of the engineer to sort it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back