Baxi Bermuda 552

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

A few months ago I had my back boiler (Baxi Bermuda 552) and gas fire serviced (local company on friends recommendation).

The boiler and fire are quite a few years old and previous to us buying the house were annually serviced by the previous occupants (work carried out by British Gas).

When we moved in and up until our servicing of the boiler the heating system was working perfectly fine.

Anyhow after our annual service the up stairs radiators and boiler started to bang quite loudly. This starts about 5-10 minutes after the heating comes on but settles down after about half an hour. The banging is now really loud and is waking the household on start up.

I have bled all the radiators in the entire house. There also seems to be some clunking coming from the pump? in the airing cupboard which never happened before either.

Basically I was wondering if this could have been caused by something the service engineer did/didn't do as it started after he finished his work, or was it just coincidence.

It has become a real problem and I'm not sure if I need a new boiler/pump/servicing company, or all three.

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice or help.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
A normal service would not have caused the boiler to become noisy.
The only adjustment that could have been made that may affect the boiler would have been to the burner pressure.The engineer may have adjusted it higher for several reasons which I won't go into.Why not call the company back and get them to check it.Did he leave you a check sheet stating boiler setting details?
Just read your post again and see that it was serviced several months ago?,or is it a recent service?

Get the heating running for a while then turn down the thermostat under the boiler and see if it shuts the boiler off.
He could have left the stat out of the boiler and the system is overheating ?

Sponsored Links
It has become a real problem and I'm not sure if I need a new boiler/pump/servicing company, or all three.

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice or help.

Many thanks.

The symptoms you describe suggests that the service engineer has not refitted the boiler thermostat back into its pocket correctly.

spraggo

I agree with all of the above, apart from Joe.

In addition the thermostat phial / capillary tube junction is very fragile and easily damaged. I always point out to clients BEFORE withdrawing, if it is a little stiff (ooo missus), that damage is possible and is at clients risk. It is possible toi damage it when replacing without being aware of it.

Contrary to what BG might suggest, they are available.

I agree all those symptoms do point to the stat bulb having been left out of its pocket.

Its easy to diagnose because as soon as the boiler has warmed up the stat will not turn it off in the usual position between about 2-3.

Its also a pain to refit and DOES need an RGI as the fire has to be removed again.

So just call him back and try NOT to be judgemental just polite and understanding. You dont know what kind of a day he had and he may have just been stressed and rushed. Its an easy thing to do.

I dont think its damaged as it does turn the boiler off as normal after 30 minutes otherwise the boiler would boil!

Tony

Thanks for your help and suggestions folks. I have arranged for the same company to service the fire and boiler this week. It's due next month anyway.

I think the best way to go is as Agile suggests. I'm a polite person by nature. so no worries about me giving him a hard time (after all I need his help). ;)

I will post later in the week and let you know how I get on.

Kind regards.

Just read your post again and see that it was serviced several months ago?,or is it a recent service?

If it were several months ago surely it would have shown up during December? If it was a day or two ago - why haven't you talked to the guy that did the service? Or maybe you have and he doesn't want to know?

Just a thought,as "it settles down after 30 mins or so" I would not suspect that the phial had been left out,otherwise boiling up would take place. :?:

Did he bleed the system when cold? He didn't say so.

Just a thought,as "it settles down after 30 mins or so" I would not suspect that the phial had been left out,otherwise boiling up would take place. :?:

On the other hand it is quite possible that after thirty minutes the cylinder stat or room stat would shut the boiler down. ;) ;)

Broken /out of position boiler stat would not cause noise on start up and or after 5 or ten mins then settle down .
It would start after around 20 mins and would get worse not better the longer the boiler was on.

edit just saw your reply 45 yearman sorry to repeat

I think you guys are reading this completely wrong. He had the service months ago but is now trying to blame the RGI that did the service. Naturally enough he isn't interested. So he's come on here to try and prove that it was the RGIs fault by asking you lot.

My guess is that only air in the pipework can cause his issues. After a while the air goes into little bubbles and the boiler runs OK. He's tried bleeding the system with the pump running so gets no joy.

It's the header tank/blockage he should be looking for - not a scapegoat.

Joe,

I think you have got me all wrong here. I am not trying to blame anyone or as you kindly put 'looking for a scapegoat' I am even happy for the same guy to come out and carry out service of my fire and service again. He is coming this week (not sure I would be doing that if I had a problem with them).

He's tried bleeding the system with the pump running so gets no joy.

Not sure where I mentioned that I did that. Maybe I should have said it took place when it was switched off.

The bleeding took place with no pump running.

The banging of radiators and knocking sound from boiler have got real bad over the past 3-4 weeks. Previous to that it was not such a major concern. It is now though, as it wakes me up at 5am when the heating starts up.

The main reason for my posting here was to get some advice as to whether my boiler may be packing up and would I need to look at getting a new one. If so what would type would people on here recommend and the prices I might be looking at.

I just thought I would try here as I know nothing about central heating systems and needed some friendly advice. Sorry to have troubled you. :(

Kind regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back