Baxi Bermuda pilot light going out when water turned on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Baxi Bermuda back boiler for hot water and central heating. After a one week holiday I returned home to find that whenever I switch on the hot water, after a few seconds, instead of hearing the burners light up I hear a click and the pilot light goes out. I have not yet tried the central heating.

I have re-lit the pilot light several times and the same thing happens when the water is switched on. Before switching the water on the pilot light stays lit.

I assume this is a safety cut off kicking in but any ideas what the cause would be?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
So the pilot goes out on the click? Can you relight the pilot at all with HW still on at the programmer?

Hi, thanks for the response.
Yes, the light goes out on the click. It sounds to me like the click is the sound of the mechanism that cuts off the gas to the pilot light.

With the HW switch in the ON position, I can relight the pilot if the thermostat (on the baxi, under the fire) is turned to 'OFF'. Once alight, if I turn the thermostat to the desired setting I hear the click and the pilot goes out again.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Try the heating if the same thing hsppens gas valve my monies on.

HTH

Just tested this and the exact same thing happens with the heating.

What can I expect to pay a gas fitter to fix this and also service the system as it's not been done for a few years?

Also, I noticed the pilot light is not all blue, the bottom half inch is blue and the top part is yellow, is this indicative of a problem also?

Thanks.

it could be low gas pressure at the pilot that is causing this, when the burner lights the pilot is starved of gas shutting down the safety valve, as you have said it hasnt been serviced for a few years that is the starting point, i wouldnt like to quote a price as everyone is different, but phone around a few local RGI's explain the prob and ask for a service plus diagnostic (you may find the service cures the fault, as it should be done every year, it is open flue and potentially dangerous) also ask for a price to supply a CO alarm, or get one yourself and follow instructions carefully to locate it properly

Its a dirty pilot injector , flame being drawn away from thermocouple as main gas comes on.
A service will sort it

I'm with namsag on this one, a damn good service is what is required. Without wanting to lecture you, I can't stress how important it is to have a Back-boiler/fire combination serviced EVERY YEAR!!! they pick up a lot of lint from the room which can cause lots of problems ultimately severe sooting of the main heat exchanger which will lead to Carbon monoxide spilling into your sitting room with potentially fatal results, so Please Please stay safe and arrange an Annual Service agreement with your local friendly competent engineer ;)

Thank you all for your replies. My father can recommend someone i'm sure as he's a builder/plumber/ex-corgi reg'd so I will arrange for a service and diagnostic as suggested.

Regards.

An update in case it helps anyone else out...

I had the back boiler and fire serviced and a good thing as it was extremely choked up with dust and fluff. After cleaning the guy tried it out and the burners did light, but with a heart-stopping explosive burst of flame! The flames leapt from the boiler into the room at least a foot and nearly took his hair off!

He then cleaned out the burner unit and checked the gas pressures and gas meter. He noticed the gas valve was turned on only about 20% of the way. This was the cause as it was reducing the flow of gas such that it only lit once gas has built up to such a level that it ignited in this explosive manner.
Being a small house every cupboard is full of things and no doubt I had put something in the cupboard and knocked the gas valve.

All is working fine now and I can sleep more peacefully knowing it is safe.

Also, I've just ordered a CO alarm for further peace of mind, I'll pop back again soon to ask for advice on where to place the alarm.

Regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back