Baxi boiler pump overrun using true off delay timer

Wired as you suggested, permanent live to L on delay timer 1 - ch pump 2 - signal. Pump now continuously runs?

Sponsored Links
I think its going to work fine just need to wire L 1 2 correctly and it should do the job, no instructions with switch at all!

The diagram is printed on the side. If N & L are the Supply and 1 & 2 the switch then.

Drawing1 Model (1).jpg

The timer should be mounted in a suitable enclosure and the cables secured so that the wires in the terminals aren't the only thing holding them in place.

Of course if the hot water is running then that would keep the pump going even if the heating switches off.

Last edited:
The diagram is printed on the side. If N & L are the Supply and 1 & 2 the switch then.

View attachment 179279

The timer should be mounted in a suitable enclosure and the cables secured so that the wires in the terminals aren't the only thing holding them in place.

Of course if the hot water is running then that would keep the pump going even if the heating switches off.

Sponsored Links
Just tried that way around and now I'm stumped! no power to pump when like that, love the diagram

View attachment 179279

Don't think your sketch is quite correct, L on relay should be connected to permanent live, original live to pump to 2, new off delayed live to pump to 1.

Just tried that way around and now I'm stumped! no power to pump when like that, love the diagram
I made a mistake when I first did it, revised it quickly. :whistle: and hoped no one had noticed. Are you looking at the revised drawing?

Drawing1 Model (1).jpg

Last edited:
Tried also as you suggested Perm live - L 1
1 - old live feed to pump
2 - new feed to pump

Pump works but is constant, I can hear the switch clicking every 30s which it is set at?
Might have to get a pro in I'm losing patients with it now!:sick:

I don't think you've got what you think you've got there (in terms of a true off delay relay). It appears (can't get any definitive info on it anywhere, BG's site is bare) to be designed for use with momentary switches- push switch, relay engages and latches for the indicated time then disengages.

I can't read the diagram on the side of the thing- if as someone else has suggested there is L and N and 1 and 2 then the following MAY work;

N goes to N
L goes to the output from the microswitches
1 goes to a permament live from somewhere (on the heating circuit- ideal is the supply line to the timeclock)
2 goes to the pump (NOT the boiler)

Best verify the functions of the terminals with a multimeter before you try it for real

Also the relay may not last very long- it won't be designed for the coil to be energised for long periods of time so may fail prematurely.

EDIT Just looked at other posts and Stem has suggested the same setup. Given the intended purpose of the relay it wouldn't be a surprise if it doesn't engage until the L has been connected and then disconnected- which would explain why it didn't work. Wrong device for the job- this might do better https://www.automation24.co.uk/anal...Gvl-a8sMx3YnOgR7TcToFs-LvzpEUvgAaAt5IEALw_wcB or something similar- critically it has changeover contacts

Last edited:
I don't think you've got what you think you've got there (in terms of a true off delay relay). It appears (can't get any definitive info on it anywhere, BG's site is bare) to be designed for use with momentary switches- push switch, relay engages and latches for the indicated time then disengages.

I can't read the diagram on the side of the thing- if as someone else has suggested there is L and N and 1 and 2 then the following MAY work;

N goes to N
L goes to the output from the microswitches
1 goes to a permament live from somewhere (on the heating circuit- ideal is the supply line to the timeclock)
2 goes to the pump (NOT the boiler)

Best verify the functions of the terminals with a multimeter before you try it for real

Also the relay may not last very long- it won't be designed for the coil to be energised for long periods of time so may fail prematurely.

EDIT Just looked at other posts and Stem has suggested the same setup. Given the intended purpose of the relay it wouldn't be a surprise if it doesn't engage until the L has been connected and then disconnected- which would explain why it didn't work. Wrong device for the job- this might do better https://www.automation24.co.uk/anal...Gvl-a8sMx3YnOgR7TcToFs-LvzpEUvgAaAt5IEALw_wcB or something similar- critically it has changeover contacts

Just my luck! I could try take it back and buy the one you suggest, the only reason I bought that one was because someone said they had used for the same job and worked fine. Like you say, not a lot of info on switch and no instructions. Anyway thanks very much for your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back