Baxi Main Eco Compact 30kw

My head is saying Vokera Vibe Max - the modulation ratio makes perfect sense and is the best option.

But my heart is saying Main Eco Compact purely because reading reviews on trust pilot, pretty much all have said Baxi engineers come out without delay and replace parts instead of messing around.

Where as Vokera have quite a few bad reviews with their engineers and after care.

Which one? - I’ve caused enough heated debate as it is, but I’m still undecided….

Sponsored Links
Yes you did, I skimmed it, pleased it worked out for you. How did the heat loss the guy you were recommended compare to the clown's?
Heat loss bloke was not recommended I found him. Last thing i wanted was under sized rads. I can send him your way if you wish?

My head is saying Vokera Vibe Max - the modulation ratio makes perfect sense and is the best option.

But my heart is saying Main Eco Compact purely because reading reviews on trust pilot, pretty much all have said Baxi engineers come out without delay and replace parts instead of messing around.

Where as Vokera have quite a few bad reviews with their engineers and after care.

Which one? - I’ve caused enough heated debate as it is, but I’m still undecided….
Have you looked into Viessmann? German engineering similar to vaillant.

I won't rush it, if you currently got heat I'd take time particularly as its Xmas period some guys might be off until new years. I've never heard of vokera.

They are out of my budget - the vitoden 100 is great but at £1500 its quite expensive for me.

Sponsored Links
They are out of my budget - the vitoden 100 is great but at £1500 its quite expensive for me.
What's your total budget including fitting and clock?

Have you got quotes for labour only yet? As that alone could affect your boiler budget.

I’ve got a small budget for boiler purchase of around £800 ish….. Hence my dilemma of which one to pick.

Yeh labour will be something I have no choice with - I’ll get a gas engineer and pay the going rate, I’ll get a few quotes.

I have no heating and just luke warm water - I’m running a oil radiator and got the gas hob on low.

I have a Glow worm betacom 30c dare I say, it’s given me 15 years, there’s been plenty of part changes over the years but now it’s time is up.

I believe the diverter valve needs changing, the heat exchanger needs descaling, when I turn the heating on it keeps heating the radiators and does not stop, the front shows no lights (30,40,50 etc) lighting up as the radiators get hotter and hotter, apparently it’s the flow sensor that’s gone.

Had a boiler engineer around who stated above….

So need to change it…..(sad face)

Last edited:
Read 1, Read 2, Read 3
1st Step : get this done.
2nd Step : You'll get an inflated number in KW/btu to start with. 15 years ago no one cared about gas prices but these days we do (home owners)! Gone are the days when bigger was better! (for rads it is still true though) For peace of mind get the HL done.

Listen to the advice given in above posts by muggles, vulcancontinental and noddy997, gas112. They are all correct in their respective recommendations for boilers. Nothing wrong with brands its just you have to decide what suits your property and budget that can be run in the most efficient and economical way. I have learned that a top brand boiler if installed incorrectly will not give you best results but a no name boiler if installed correctly to suit the property will give you better results.

If you can put up with current heating arrangement till installers are back from holidays; then get the installer in to get the ball rolling.
Deciding factors;
- know your load; 24 or 30kw or 18!
- Longevity (should have a SS Heat exchanger in your budget)
- efficiency/running cost (turn down ratio or running on partial load)
- availability of spares and cost
- know your rads, are they sized correctly.
- follow maintenance schedule of the boiler, if you take care of it it won't let you down.
- I wouldn't be too hung up on warranty but that's me; if it is important to you then go with the one that is offering maximum warranty.

As regards heat loss calculations. One thing I have been wondering. If your boiler is specced for heat loss based on the standard -3C outside temperature. On the very rare occasions that we have a very cold spell, say -10C, is the idea that subsidiary heating is used to keep the house at the desired temperature? I know it seems obvious but I don't recall seeing it mentioned.

As regards heat loss calculations. One thing I have been wondering. If your boiler is specced for heat loss based on the standard -3C outside temperature. On the very rare occasions that we have a very cold spell, say -10C, is the idea that subsidiary heating is used to keep the house at the desired temperature? I know it seems obvious but I don't recall seeing it mentioned.

Logically yes but in practice with continual running during extreme low temperatures the drop in internal temperatures is not as great as one would expect as even the most careful calculations come out slightly too high. That does read as a contradiction in terms but in my experience it has generally been the case. When people have suffered lower comfort levels in the coldest snaps has been when they continue to operate the system with an ON/OFF regime rather than Comfort/Setback.

Thank you everyone for their responses - very much appreciated!

I have depression and as a result I’ve become very isolated as a person and making decisions becomes very difficult as you have probably noticed, hence me coming onto this forum for your advice, so thank you all….

I will purchase Vokera Vibe Max 30kw from tool station, I guess it makes perfect sense now that I’ve been made aware of modulation ratio etc….

Parts for it if in a worst case scenario after 5/6 year warranty is a concern to be honest, but as someone mentioned get it serviced properly and fingers crossed it should be ok, where as Main Eco Compact parts seem to be very cheap and readily available and engineers always at hand according to trust pilot.

Will Keep you posted and keep the conversation going its been very educating….

Spoke to number of Boiler engineers today via CheckATrader who all seem to be in favour of installing Main Eco Compact and not Vokera…..

Labour is coming in at at around £1000 to £1200 including chemical flush….

I might post job on MyBuilder as I have had brilliant trades people in the past from there and very competitive….

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back