Baxi Solo 2 30PF Pilot light not starting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

I've got a Baxi Solo 2 30PF that has been working just fine until yesterday. It is now stuck in a loop of the fan switching on for just about a second, then turning off again. I don't see any spark in the boiler that would ignite the gas. It will keep repeating this over and over until I turn off the thermostat.

I've tried doing the reset of putting the dial to 0 and waiting 30 seconds a few times with no success.

The engineer we've called has quoted us at least £180 for a PCB replacement (the most common solution I could find after using Google) and I got the impression that was before labour. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate them.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is the wrong approach for YOU to call an engineer for a quotation to replace a part.

If you ask him to do that and it still does not fix it then you will have wasted £180 and still not have it fixed.

In my view you should call an engineer to DIAGNOSE the fault. I charge about £84 for that in my local area and then I take responsibility for a correct diagnosis.

If he came and diagnosed a faulty PCB and changed that and it was not the fault then you would not have to pay for parts fitted as a result of a faulty diagnosis!

It could always be a very simple fault but as I have not been there I can only guess and the PCB would be high up the list. I would charge a customer about £94 for a new PCB.

Tony

Ah sorry that wasn't clear. The quote for the PCB came because the guy was refusing to give me a quote for the work so I just asked for a quote to do the repair I figured would be most likely. He is coming to diagnose it himself and then give a more solid quote.

Asking him to quote for your guess is not advancing your situation ( other than knowing what he would charge for a specific job ).

But it seems that you did not discover if that included labour or not!

As you could deduce, I would charge £84 plus £94 in my local area.

That is based on me coming to diagnose and being asked to proceed with the repair on the spot.

If he is coming to diagnose you should determine what his diagnosis charge will be first!

A few ( stupid ones in my opinion ) will come and diagnose the problem free and then overcharge for the repair ( because they will not get every job )!

A few more will still come free but only give a single price to repair but will not give details of the exact fault.

When I am paid for a diagnosis then I give the exact details and they can decide to repair it themselves or get someone else. Most though get me to do it.

A few years ago I did a diagnosis and the landlord did everything possible to get me to say what was wrong without paying. Of course I did not.

He eventually came round himself in his long black coat and hat and I have never seen anyone else take so long to take the money out of his pocket!

The trade price of the part needed was £123 so I quoted him £113 to complete the repair. Even being quoted LESS for the part he still did not get me to complete the repair. I expect he felt sore because I had prevented him from avoiding paying for the diagnosis. You can understand why some do not like these kind of people.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Okay, engineer issues aside, does anyone have any thoughts about any ways to reset the boiler? Like I said, I've had this issue before and it resolved itself but I don't remember how. That's the information I'm after here.

It is not a matter of just "resetting" a fault.

This is a hardware boiler and not a software issue.

You have an intermittent fault.

It needs to be diagnosed and fixed!

Tony

[For future folks coming across this thread]

The issue, as before, has resolved itself. It takes ~48 hours but the boiler returned itself to normal and is now happily working again. I did nothing to it, just leaving it alone resolved the problem.

Issue is not resolved. Based on what you have posted above, issue is dormant to wake up later to be a pain :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back