baxi solo 3 pfl 70 not heating!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had our heating engineer give up on this one and recommended we call baxi out (but I hear they are pricey!!)
original trouble was boiler overheating. engineer removed blockage from flu and said fixed. BUT...

Now when I switch programmer on (potterton ep2002) the boiler light goes on but it doesn't fire up for heating or water.

Engineer been back 3 times gets it working switches it off and on a couple of times then leaves and it goes off never to come on again! He says everything that can be tested is working ok (except the boiler doesn't want to play). it's not overheating now so there's not even anthing I can reset, boiler light on nothing else.

I did notice that when I put the fused spur on (with programmer off) that the pump appears to start up-didn't think this was right??

Wondering if it may therefore be an electrical or wiring problem and if I should investigate this avenue before spending money on another heating engineer?

Thanks to anyone who has read this far, any advice more than welcome

Sponsored Links
Funnily enough just posted a similar story about a Baxi solo we have. Eventally we got British Gas out for £150 fixed fee and after quite a bit of time and effort they sorted it. Components were being damaged by overheating boiler due to poor quality initial install and servicing. So get BG out, at least you will know the cost in advance.

I did notice that when I put the fused spur on (with programmer off) that the pump appears to start up-didn't think this was right??

Wondering if it may therefore be an electrical or wiring problem and if I should investigate this avenue before spending money on another heating engineer?

Hi there, went to a similar problem recently, it was the circuit board that needed replacing. That boiler has a pump over run facility that keeps the pump running for appox 8 minutes even though no call for heat (via switched live from the boiler relay)

The circuit boards arn't cheap though, in excess of £120, however I did find a place that do reconditioned boards for £60 and refund you £30 if you return your old board.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260220546525

Hope that helps, but please consult your CORGI engineer first.

Rob :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
guys thanks for the prompt replies! Chapeau, the recent trouble with this inherited boiler (just had the flat 10months and it's played up constantly) makes me think the BG option is sensible.

Rob, is there any way I can confirm the fault lies with the circuit board before replacing?
Thanks
Caz

Sponsored Links
Rob, is there any way I can confirm the fault lies with the circuit board before replacing?
Thanks
Caz

Caz, I would suggest you get your engineer back and get him to call 08706 060780 (Baxi tech support) but they will need to confirm his corgi number before giving him any advice.

Failing that I can send you the fault finding guide for your engineer to look at.

Thanks
Caz

Caz, I would suggest you get your engineer back and get him to call 08706 060780 (Baxi tech support) but they will need to confirm his corgi number before giving him any advice.

Failing that I can send you the fault finding guide for your engineer to look at.

thanks Rob, he spent a good hour on the phone to baxi and said he'd tried everything they said. I've got the installation guide with fault finding guide at the back if that's the one you mean. I'll give the engineer a call and ask if they'd thought of the circuit board?
As for the pump over run (thanks) would it be correct that it should run when I switch the spur on even though the programmer is off and the boiler has not been on?
Cheers,
Caz

caz26";p="864686 said:
ukrobj";p="864663 said:
As for the pump over run (thanks) would it be correct that it should run when I switch the spur on even though the programmer is off and the boiler has not been on?
Cheers,
Caz

It could be that the pump maybe wired up incorrectly, there is a live and switched live from the boiler, however id check even though the boiler is off, it may still be receiving power to the board.

Personally I'd start from scratch, check the power to the boiler, check the switched live and perm live. Then see if the pump shuts down after about 10 mins. If it doesn't then the pump over run is still active and the relay on the pcb is knackered so replace the pcb.

thanks guys, it'll be a week before I get to it but any other ideas to mull over more than welcome. will let you know cheers caz

HI
i had the same problem, boiler was overheating and then running with no ignition, would be ok for half hour and then all sorts of strange things would happen, banging, pump running when i wasn't asking it too and it was the PCB, common fault on these boilers i understand once mine was replaced it was fine.

Guys,
I took a punt at Rob's £35 for refurbished PCB, fitted it and it worked.....for 20minutes. now same old problem, I get the boiler light on-although more of a flicker and nowt else. would welcome any other suggestions.
Regards,
Caz

You have a problem with your fan!

Have you checked continuity across the temp sensor ?
(if its red change it any way new ones are green)

You have a problem with your fan!

Have you checked continuity across the temp sensor ?
(if its red change it any way new ones are green)

it is a green one. didn't have meter with me so we've thrown in the towel and called baxi out. Guy turned up today (whilst my wife was there). Says he wouldn't go in attic (at £300 i thought maybe he would if necessary but flue has been checked anyway). Anyway, said someone had turned off valve from pump to boiler and this was the problem. I can't see why this would result in failure of fan to come on in 99/100 cases.
Anyway he left with it working. I came home tonight and switched it on-15mins later it's off again and won't come back on-same old.
Any advice for the engineer when we get him back? i can't believe he never checked the fan!!!!
£10 says it doesn't get fixed next time either! Help!

guys thanks for the help. solution- yes fan problem, but sensor rather than fan itself. sensor saying fan still on so when calling for fan sensor said fan on when not-solution replace sensor! hope this helps others!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back