Bay Window Curtain Pole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

We have a victorian house with bay windows. I bought a curtain pole from dunelm and we thought we followed the instructions properly but at the moment it is far from how it should be (it's quite a sight actually!!).

Firstly, my husband measured three inches upwards from the top of the window/plastering. Then he drilled all the holes and put the brackets up. Even though he measured properly - they are not lined up! I guess this means the point where he measured from is not level?

How do we get the pole level?

many thanks.

Sponsored Links
For jobs like this, a long spirit level is essential, and its best to start from the middle....do you have such a thing?
John :)

Even though he measured properly - they are not lined up!

'measured' what exactly?
What is ''they''?

Yes, I thought a long spirit level was necessary but he said he couldn't find it. I think I shall be able to find it.

They = the drilled holes/brackets.

So - does this mean, find the height the pole should go at - mark the height both ends of each section of the bay - draw a line, then put the spirit level on it to make sure its straight, and if not so, tweak it till it is level?

Sponsored Links
With your spirit level, wherever you start marking from should prove to be accurate - so long as the level is!
Maybe its best to start from the centre of the bay, and use the edge of the level to draw the line with. By turning the level around (180 deg horizontally) you'll be able to see if the level is accurate.
John :)

Is the curtains length to run to the floor, in which case the fixing brackets would be best measured from said floor. One at each end of the center and one each end of the wings. Join these with a chalk line or straight edge and re-bore the holes for the brackets if necessary.
The point is it would be folly to try and set the curtain pole level, rather parallel to the floor, within reason...pinenot :)

Hi

The curtains will run to the floor, but they will be gathered/scooped up on the floor. I think the best thing is the pole is level to the eye.

Hi

The curtains will run to the floor, but they will be gathered/scooped up on the floor. I think the best thing is the pole is level to the eye.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back