Bay window how should it be fixed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a general query here, my daughter has a grade 2 listed building (so anything structural will be subject to agreement with the planning officer) which has square bay windows (changed from flush at some point in the past) that need replacing before they fall into the garden!

It looks to me as if the builder built a cube and more or less nailed it to the front of the building. The supports underneath do not seem to be sunk into the wall at all. Gallows brackets would have been a solution but adding them will change the appearance.

Anyway I digress, how should a "window seat" type of bay be fitted to the front of a building when done to current standards please?

Obviously the construction will cause problems, fixings will have to go into timbers, as I don't think rawlplugs work too well with wattle and daub!:LOL:

Regards,
footprints

Sponsored Links
I don't know if it's any help but....... On a grade 2 building I persuaded the planners to allow change of the large front door panels from wood to glass because I found a picture of the front door standing in a reclamation yard before it was fitted into the house c.1940. There it was with glass panels ;) Maybe your daughter's house could go back to something that might look better - if you can find an archive photo:idea:

You would have to post exterior and internal photos before any useful advice ref. the actual construction of Oriel bays could be given - by me anyway.
Maybe you could also post a reference photo for what you have in mind?
Seats in bays are prone to fungal infection due to lack of ventilation & cold outer wall surfaces.

Thanks for the replies, quite right a photo would be needed to suggest a solution for the house in question and when they get around to fitting new ones that would be the way to go, but I don't have any at present.
I really wanted to know how that type of window should be supported, when as our transatlantic friends say it's "built to code!"

The man from the council has been requested (and paid for, £180 to have a look I think it was) until he agrees nothing can be done.

I assume a full length bay would be cantilevered at floor level but a window 2ft off the floor can only be fixed to the wall in some way, they seem quite common on the horrible boxes that pass for houses these days, are they just bolted on? Assuming the builder hasn't used no nails and the only bolt is the one he did!:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Its impossible to reply without seeing what you want, and what the listed elevation looks like?
You say "how that type of window should be supported" but besides you proposing some kind of Oriel window we know nothing further.
There are all kinds of Oriel bays and various methods of fixing them.
The fixing will typically depend on the background.

Thank you vinn, as I said my knowledge of building construction is well below expert level:unsure: I was just wondering in general terms how oriel windows are normally tied in on modern houses.

The windows in question are a later bodge, the original would be 17cent and you can see they were originally flush with the building, it looks like they are more recent (only a 100 years or so old :whistle:) addition and have suffered because the thatch did not shed the water past the extended construction properly.

They may end up pulling them back a way or even flush again, but as you know listing applies to the date it was registered and later changes like the new garage get included as well as some dreadful chrittall windows fitted in the 1930's (n). So we will have to wait and see, if I get roped in I guess you will be seeing lots of pictures of grotty oak frames on here looking for advice:)

Thanks again,
footprints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back