Bay window problems...advice needed.... :(

The advice has been top dollar guys and very much appreciated, just to clarify, the next step would be, get in touch with a local builder or SE to evaluate what needs to be done to secure and reinforce the bay and price the job up for me? Does anyone have a rough idea of how much this may be and the time it would take?

Sponsored Links
At this stage, you need to get another SE in (preferably one who knows his job). Take off as much plaster etc as you can so he can see the structure clearly, and get him to design and detail a structure to support the upper brickwork and window. This would probably consist of a steel angle supported on corner tubes, and tied back to the main wall of the house each side of the bay.
Only when you have got a scheme prepared do you get a builder in to price and undertake the work as detailed.
It may mean the top frame being carefully propped while the brickwork and frame below are removed, so be prepared for some inconvenience.

Read this thread through and will give our views for what they are worth.
Could be wrong but reckon your house was built 1915 to 1937, nearer 1930.
Read the disaster movie Bay Watch many years ago, but since 1996 when that was wrote, the UVPV window manufactures have moved on and present day windows are much better designed and made.
The procedure for bay windows, was bricklayers dpc to joist, drop back and bed bay window. Carpenter, fix frame, fix plate and stick build spandrel up to under side joist. Fix joist including spandrel floor joists. Bricky up to plate, carpenter finish stick build to spandrel, stick top frame on and fix. Stick lid on. Job done.
The spandrel was very rarely brick in filled, as the old boys were not daft and wanted a light weight structure. U values were unheard of in those days.
We have strengthened a few of these bays up in the past and never had a problem. If you want an alternative way of doing it at quarter the price of the suggestions made, then knock the plaster of the bad spandrel wall left hand side and let us know the exact construction from inner plaster skim to outside dash.
Regards oldun

This is a very common problem which crops up regularly. I specified a similar one recently. Problem is the old boys used dozen different ways of building and finishing these bays and it depends to some extent on what you find underneath. It also depends on how far you want to go? If you want the job done 100% you might as well start by hacking off all the internal plaster and all the external render so that you can see exactly what's going on.

Your structural windows are only doing anything if you have a suitable beam across the top of the ground floor windows. Otherwise the support is simply carried up the corner mullions above and does nothing for the infill panel.

Sponsored Links
Oldun; with respect, i think jeds is correct. There were any number of ways of building these bays, and the OP, or indeed a surveyor/SE won't know until its stripped down.
He will need an angle or something similar across the head of the window. Modern windows may be better made, but there is no way a piece of pvc spanning that distance will support that load.

I did say 100% job oldun. If it's just a simple bypass you need or maybe a new valve I could do that for you with a lot less hacking about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back