Bay window removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm contemplating removing the bay window in my kitchen. It's very awkward to plan around it and it also looks a bit odd on the rear aspect of the house.

I've attached some photos; there's a steel lintel/RSJ over each of the skins of brick; the house is probably 1930s.
IMG_20160917_183425.jpgIMG_20160917_183401.jpg IMG_20160918_171736.jpg
I'm unsure as to exactly what would be involved to help me make the decision. My questions are:-
1) Would I need to remove the RSJ on the external skin? I plan to render the whole rear aspect at some point so this is more about whether or not I can make it weather proof and compliant rather than look undetectable. I think if I'm required to remove the steels then I'll probably just stick with the bay or get some quotes for a pro to do it.
2) Would I need to dig foundations on the new brick line? If the answer to 1 requires me to remove the lintels then I guess this wall then takes substantially more load.
3) The inside already contains a solid floor, is it feasible/allowed to build off this for the internal skin? Again, will depend on the answers to the above.

Depending on the answers to these I'll probably have follow up questions. I know I'm bound to get a "if you need to ask, you need to hire a professional", which is fine and a valid response; but I like to know because I have an interest in the subject and I rather enjoy trying things myself first!

Thanks,
Simon

Sponsored Links
Foundations for both leaves - yes. Include DPC and cav' inulation if applicable.
External steel can remain as long as thermal bridging is dealt with, weep vents through the render (if there is a CT above) and a robust way of cradling the render via noggs and exp-metal etc.

I personally would lose the external steel giving more options for external finish.

If the opening is to remain the same width then the beams above can stay.

Cut the floor back in line with the internal wall, span a lintel just below ground level and build the new wall off that. Keep the bay bricks for the new wall.

Cut the floor back in line with the internal wall, span a lintel just below ground level and build the new wall off that. Keep the bay bricks for the new wall.
We've used this method and I can honestly say it can be simpler just to dig a footing. Can be a faff chopping out the lintel bearings etc.

Sponsored Links
With such a small bay, the OP may find that the foundation goes straight across the opening if it's a concrete strip. If bricks it will follow the bay

We've used this method and I can honestly say it can be simpler just to dig a footing. Can be a faff chopping out the lintel bearings etc.

Maybe, but not when you factor in disposing of the soil, importing the concrete and all the associated stuff. The OP is DIYing don't forget.

Hi both, thanks for commenting, appreciate the replies and useful advice.

I hadn't even thought of the possibility there could be some sort of footing already.

Interestingly, I noticed that there are wooden "plugs" in the walls of the bay, the type that would have a timber frame nailed to, so I'm now wondering if the bay is a more recent addition. Which may mean there's already a few courses of brick on that line?
IMG_20161001_153510.jpg

Also, I don't think there's enough room in the bay to try and excavate without first demolishing the bay wall - any advice on a good way to go about this without leaving it open to the elements/un-friendlies.

Finally, I assume this work is notifiable to building control - would that be right?

Thanks again.

Simon

Those timber pads are what used to be built into walls to nail frames to.

I would certainly investigate below the floor before demolishing the wall.

It is notifiable work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back