Bay window sealed units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have bay windows which comprises of 6 separate windows.

Some of these open and some are fixed.

How are the fixed units held in? (presuming just screwed to the frame)

The reason for asking is that a couple of the fixed units have some gaps and let air through when it is windy so wanted to see if I could replace the seals. I have highlighted the gap in yellow in the picture.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• FBD39DCB-B1E9-4489-8855-3D815E59B9BF.jpeg
    FBD39DCB-B1E9-4489-8855-3D815E59B9BF.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 68
Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm just a DIY'er so ignore if you want to! :)

It appears that you have 'wood effect' UPVC double glazing?

If that's the case, then I believe the fixed unit will be screwed into the frame.

To access the screws you will have to remove the sealed unit.

Here's a quick how to:

From there you should be able to see how the fixed unit is attached.
It might need new seals, or just shimming correctly and screwing back in a slightly better position.

I hope that helps! :)

Dummy Sashes so pretty much as RandomGrinch says remove the sealed unit and you should see the screws holding it in. Sometimes you may find the hinges for an opener are actually there , this is to keep eveything lined up, sometimes just screwed in though. My guess would be that in the heat the windows have bowed/moved , dark woodgrain frames are notorious for it ( as they absorb the heat ) , and even the lighter colours to an extent. Should just need ' reseating ' , unlikely to be the seals as they won't have been opened so have had no reason to degradate...except in that ' heat movement ' lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back