Bay Window water penetrating - from where..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have had an ongoing issue with our 2 front downstairs bay windows, these were double-glazed approx 4-5 years ago. There are 2 siimilar issues with both windows, in that water is somehow making its way internally in the brickwork beneath the double-glazing.

Last night we had a heavy shower and we heard dripping on the carpet, the water had made its way internally and was dripping from the internal wooden window seal, this was in the lounge. In the dining room it's a little different in that the water is actually appearing in the middle of the brickwork!

I will try and get some pictures up to show you everything, over the years we have re-sealed the glazing quite heavily but it doesn't seem to have sorted it, we have bay windows upstairs too and these don't suffer the same issue.

So my quesiton is, what is the best way to diagnose? Hose pipe on the windows until we spot where it's coming in? It only seems to suffer on either heavy rain or driving rain, so it's probbaly quite a well hidden void, I just can't seem to pin it down.

Sponsored Links
Most likely is the joint between the window and wall , sealant looks a bit of a mess all round though. The rain may well penetrate the window at the top and travel down the sides and into the room, water has a tendacy to find lots of routes into your home.

Not saying this is the cause, i mean it could be but it may not but WHO sealed the gap up between the window and the cill? :eek: you have lost all your windows internal drainage, it wants removing asap!

Sponsored Links
Not saying this is the cause, i mean it could be but it may not but WHO sealed the gap up between the window and the cill? :eek: you have lost all your windows internal drainage, it wants removing asap!

:oops:

Well, we've been trying to nail this problem for a couple of years now and in an act of stupidity I suggested sealing those gaps, suffice to say that has been well and truly removed today!

We did consider that the sealing of the drainage gaps could've been the cause of the horrendous dripping we experienced last night.

Anyway we spoke to our neighbour today and he also pointed out, to our embarrasement, that sealing those gaps would not be helping!!

I'm going to see how it goes from now-on, if we still get the random wet patch in the middle of the dining room brickwork I may post another thread up.

Thanks

Why don't you get the fitting company back, have they gone bust?

If so have you got an insurance backed guarantee?

Why don't you get the fitting company back, have they gone bust?

If so have you got an insurance backed guarantee?

It was done before we purchased the house, so unfortunately we don't know who (or when exactly) fitted the glazing.

Take a unit out and see if there is any drainage slots and that they are working by filling them with water, if it works it will run out on the external cill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back