BBC Comedy

Sponsored Links
If Ricky Gervais is involved, it will be special. Highly intelligent, sails close to the wind, resonates deep down with what people know to be true.

He is a very poor comedian, in a technical sense. Frankie Boyle's description of watching Ricky Gervais's show was spot on for me.

"I felt a bit like Fred Astaire watching a guy in calipers falling down an escalator"

He is a very poor comedian, in a technical sense. Frankie Boyle's description of watching Ricky Gervais's show was spot on for me.

"I felt a bit like Fred Astaire watching a guy in calipers falling down an escalator"

And you also think Angela Rayner is fit to be a minister of state...

Ah yes, Frankie Boyle. Went from skitting blind, disabled kids to suddenly being all right on when it meant securing himself a cushy BBC "comedy" gig. Great guy, really admire his integrity.

Gervais isn't just a comedian but a writer. Look at The Office, Extras, After Life... and he isn't afraid to rip the **** out of the establishment and the Hollywood elite to their faces. The Left used to like that sort of thing, before they became the elites themselves.

Sponsored Links
and he isn't afraid to rip the **** out of the establishment and the Hollywood elite to their faces.

That is the one thing he is still good at.

Gervais isn't just a comedian but a writer. Look at The Office, Extras, After Life

The Office is one of my favourite ever shows. Everything he has done since has got progressively worse.

He is an appalling stand up. Even when he has the germ of a good idea, he manages to mess it up with the way he sets up and delivers a joke. I know he is popular. But so is Emmerdale Farm.

How long do I stick with it?

Episode 1 was awful
It is about 20 years old. That’s just setting the scene. Once you get into it, depending on your sense of humour, like all series, it’s gets better. I’d describe it as 'last of the summer wine' set on a Glasgow housing estate.

That is the one thing he is still good at.

The Office is one of my favourite ever shows. Everything he has done since has got progressively worse.

He is an appalling stand up. Even when he has the germ of a good idea, he manages to mess it up with the way he sets up and delivers a joke. I know he is popular. But so is Emmerdale Farm.

Do you like Bernard Manning? His delivery is incredible.

It is about 20 years old. That’s just setting the scene. Once you get into it, depending on your sense of humour, like all series, it’s gets better. I’d describe it as 'last of the summer wine' set on a Glasgow housing estate.
It's all subjective which is obviously the way it should be. I loved Still Game, like anything some episodes better than others. I also loved The Office (UK version) and found much of it laugh out loud funny. I think the fact most of my working life has been office based influenced this as I could relate to the characters, situations etc.

I gave up in E2. It was shocking.

I gave up in E2. It was shocking.
I don't think I started it from the beginning anyway. I used to download it to my phone and watch it when I was on the train to West London. With earphones on, I laughed out loud on several occasions and got some funny looks.

Have you tried another Scottish comedy - Two Doors Down?

Maybe you’re just a miserable coont?

Sponsored Links
Back