BBC reporting style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is it with the BBC's reporting style nowadays?

The wording, style and content always seems to be not just alarmist but biased towards the latest cause or the "anti" this or that movements. It also seems to be actually anti-anything the government do, and Britain generally. They purposefully choose adjectives and verbs to make the bad news sound much more negative, and will invariably add negative "buts" and counter-arguments to any positive news, to down play it

Latest today includes
" UK plunges into recession ...",
"T
he UK has crashed into recession"

but then mention

"Economy bounced back slightly in June"

The graph they include shows the "plunge" was -20% and the "slight bounce" was +8.9%

In the same item they add the negative comment to the [positive] bounce article "However, there's plenty of concern about how firmly that recovery will be able to take hold within the confines of social distancing and local lockdowns".

But they don't add a similarly positive comment to the [negative] plunge article.

And then there is the copy paste of Americanised words and phrases, and writing acronyms as words. Plus the analogies are clearly not related to the UK - "as big as Wyoming" or suchlike.

Yes I know there are the political and ideological biases of all the independent news outlets, but am I wrong to expect more from the BBC?

Sponsored Links
Without having a dig at your preference like someone on here, I'll just say that this sensationalist, attention grabbing style of writing is across the board in news outlets.

Sponsored Links
s I know there are the political and ideological biases of all the independent news outlets, but am I wrong to expect more from the BBC
It's a great point, we should expect more.

BBC news should be factual without sensationalist adjectives added.

BBC news should be like the shipping forecast

Maybe if the BBC news was made factual and boring nobody would watch it, then people would argue it's not relate to.

i mentioned this months ago . fiona bruce and naga munchety were my examples on question time and bbc breakfast.
then there’s victoria Derbyshire through the covid debacle. horrendous tv . one of the first people who’s mother was taken into hospital was being interviewed the following day. “can you explain what you were thinking when you saw your mum being wheeled into an ambulance”? ffs.
vile.

It's a great point, we should expect more.

BBC news should be factual without sensationalist adjectives added.

BBC news should be like the shipping forecast

Maybe if the BBC news was made factual and boring nobody would watch it, then people would argue it's not relate to.
one of my pet hates "the nuclear powered submarine" HMS xxx was sent to the gulf

Yeah, bit different aren't they?!
The only thing I like about Jeremy is that he has an ok taste of music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back