remove completely the pressure pipe & sensor as one piece
remove soap box & inlet valves as one
remove both concrete lumps
remove door seal
disconnect drum from springs
lift drum up carefully not to knock any wires
open the plastic outer drum in half
you'll be left with the metal inner with the spider attached

remove old bearings ( in this case rubble & melted rubber)
clean up the spider shaft with a little sandpaper
drive out the old bearings from the bearing carrier
refit new bearings & seal
put back together is the reverse of the 1st jobs

Sponsored Links
i know i havent done it for years, but there was no need to remove the concrete weights, or suspension legs, or pressure pipe

did you change the spider?

i hope so, because if you didn't you will have wasted your time. The spider is what wears the bearing seal, which lets water in which corrodes the bearings. If you dont change the spider it will wear out the bearing seal again, only this time, much quicker

yes you have to remove concrete weights and the presure pipe..pull the peg out of the legs but you dont have to remove the legs.i have done 1000 of these i do them in my sleep.start to finish 45 mins .

if you can remove all that and remove bearings and fit new and put back together in 45 mins i'd certainly pay for dinner

fitting a new drum & spider with the bearings all in i might get colse to hour and half after 20 machines
in my sleep (dreams) 45 mins for me

i didn't change the spider just cleaned the shaft up with a bit of sandpaper to remove any scuffs

i'll see how long it lasts
more than 12 months suits me fine

Sponsored Links
if you can remove all that and remove bearings and fit new and put back together in 45 mins i'd certainly pay for dinner

fitting a new drum & spider with the bearings all in i might get colse to hour and half after 20 machines
in my sleep (dreams) 45 mins for me

i didn't change the spider just cleaned the shaft up with a bit of sandpaper to remove any scuffs

i'll see how long it lasts
more than 12 months suits me fine

i cheat i replace back half compete with bearings fitted and a new inner drum with a spider already fitted.just a case of splitting drum with a cordless drill and torx bit undoing 17 bolts . :LOL:

ha i see

those T30 bolts

didn't have a spare drum and spider as only a home DIYer so i had to do my own kind of cheating

used to change complete drum already made up heater, pulley , 30 mins good old days .

Cakeman - Thanks for the instructions which helped me get started on this. The machine is now an organised pile of bits.

The inner bearing and seal had totally disintegrated and made a complete mess of the shaft as well.

I have managed to remove the rear bearing, inner seal and remaining bits. I am left with the outer ring of the inner bearing in place but no way to 'grab' it for removal. Can anyone suggest a method of removing this outer bearing ring?

While I am typing here - can anyone recommend a decent (cheap) supplier of the needed parts? So far it looks like £70+!

heat will do it
blow torch on the bearing
hammer it with a screw driver from the opposite side
it will shift - battle of wills

Heat - It is a plastic casing with a steel insert - the heat will distort/melt the housing. The bearing outer shell is inside the steel tube in the casing so heating will make it expand and tighten. Heating the tube might work but probably damage the plastic housing.

Hammer - I used a 7lb club hammer and a 'spike' chisel to try to bend the shell inwards - not a dent in it let alone distortion. I only tried for 5 minutes so maybe an hour or two of whacking might work.

I just had an idea - drill it to reduce the mass and then maybe the chisel will work. Providing I do not damage the housing where the seal fits. It will not matter if I accidentally drill into the main bearing housing a bit providing I do not puncture it.

Off to play with a drill ;)

Driller failure.

I recall seeing a YouTube video about how bearings are made during which I think I saw that the shells are case hardened. That might explain why my drill didn't touch it.

I am now experimenting with a Dremil and a 15mm x 0.5mm disk a bit like an angle grinder disk. EXTREMELY slow progress but it is making an impression on it. It is quite a delicate tool but a few hours might do the trick if it lasts that long.

I have to quit now as I am due to take wifey out. Back on it tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back