Becoming an electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it possible to become an electrician just by going to college and not having work experience with a qualified electrician as well?

Sponsored Links
Afaict as long as you can get the qualifications to either get into one of the self cert schemes (for domestic) or to convince your customer that you are competant (for commercial and industrial) you'r good to go.

if you wan't to get into the self cert schemes you'll probablly have to do a few jobs notifying building control first as they will wan't to see examples of your work.

It`s probably easier to be an Electrician than be a bus conductor.
What I mean is the term "Electrician" is no more protected than shop assistant.
Or for example if you join two bits of wood together you are then a joiner.
Join pipes together and you are a plumber.
Now bein profficient & safe well that`s another matter and may take years of experience and qualifications.
Strive to be good (the best) in whatever you do and hold your head high.
I taught my Grandson to swim last week, therefore I am a Teacher.

Is it the spring time bringing all these career changes out of the woodwork? And why does the whole world and his dog want to be a spark?

Sponsored Links
Someone told me it's easier to make a living after a mid-life career change than as a youngster.

If you're wrinkly and grey, the customers assume you must have years of experience :LOL:

JohnD said:
Someone told me it's easier to make a living after a mid-life career change than as a youngster.

If you're wrinkly and grey, the customers assume you must have years of experience :LOL:

B&Q.... here we come :LOL:

you could go on one of those wonder courses, but you would- in my opinion- be wasting your money.

As an electrical contractor I would look for a grade card from any electrician (if) I would be employing in the future.
No grade card no job

Although I can get the electricians NI number and make a call to check if he (or she) is on the UK register of electricians, anyone without the relevant experience would fall down at that hurdle

see for adult training
http://www.sectt.org.uk/training.htm

or
http://www.sectt.org.uk/apprent.htm
for apprenticeships

(if you live outside Scotland you will need to search the web)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back