Bedroom fitted furniture vs MFI Measuring Tape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, minor rant, MFI man came to measue our bedroom for new fitted furniture. HE measured!

Went to store, got everything sorted out, bought layout, waited a month for delivery, as always some items missing.

Waited some more,

built all wardrobes along one wall.

Came to sort out bed side units, thought, Hmm this is a bit tight, but hey the man who measures for a living must be right!

Nope, overall, the wall that the plan suggests we fit bed and bedside units too is 150mm too short!

Utter irritation!

Just checked the paperwork, "Before fitting, you must check all measurements."

Why must I check them!

Sponsored Links
To continue, yesterday (Saturday 29th March 08 ) I called customer services for MFI, in the message that begins the call they now have an option that says, if you feel that we have let you down please call .....

So, I did, great, I'd receive a call from my local MFI to help discuss my problem. No call emerged.

Called again today (Sunday 30th) given number for my local store (an ex-directory number that the store doesn't like given out, probably for good reason)

The chap said I'll get my manager to speak to you, few seconds later, "My manager can't talk now, and doesn't have time to talk to you or me. He says he'll find time before 12 tomorrow."

Wow - MFI must be really busy with complaints if it takes a manager 26 hours to have a moment to talk to a customer who his store has mislead!

Will wait till tomorrow at 12, then when I suspect we get no call we'll see what happens!

Okay then, waited patiently until 12 as instructed, no call, as expected! So I called the store and explained my problem again! This time, I talked to the person who measured my bedroom, hooray! He said, I'll talk to my manager, we might have to come and measure again to check you have fitted it correctly!

Okay thinks I, I'll go with it.

He arranges to come and re-measure. We know what the problem is, he didn't take the bed into account when measuring up, despite being asked to (the bed is a swiss IKEA job, and isn't quite a king size, isn't quite a double type of thing)

Anyway, he comes and measures. He agrees it is fitted correctly, he measures and says he'll go away and check if the measurements are right with his manager! Expect a call by 3pm.

About 1pm we actually get a call. Yes, we measured wrongly, as a gesture of good will, you can return the cabinet and we'll give you a refund.

I say, err, no go away and think about your offer again. If you had measured correctly, and said I could only fit in one bedside table, I'd have gone to a different store.

Err, I'll go and talk to my manager and get back to you.

Sponsored Links
It continues, no call back! Don;t know why I bothered waiting!

Went to the store, got hold of a manager, introduced himself by first name, that really irritates me, I'm not his friend, I'm a customer. I require formality!

Anyway, go through it all again!

He says, "Oh, I was lead to believe that a refund for the extra table would sort the problem out."

Err, No!

After a length chat, he says he is going to try and get one of his fitters to make a 35cm wide unit from a tall unit to fit the gap, obviously free of charge - Wait for it, here's the punchline - I'll call you before 8pm tonight to let you know how I get on.

No! I have waited patiently for 4 days now, no call!

Okay, today, I shall be calling again, I think that giving a manager 4 days to complete a call is reasonable! Wonder what the excuse will be this time?

"I was lead to believe that you didn't want me to call by .........(Fill in own ridiculous reason)"

"You didn't supply your number.......(Yep, we did)"

"I tried several times, but I couldn't get through....(We have an BTs 1571 service)"

Possibly something more imaginative?

I'm hoping for honesty,

"I'm not all all sorry, quite frankly as we have your money, I don't really care about you, I have many minions in the store I can blame, and I'm far too self important to bother actually doing as I have said!"

We shall see!

Just stand outside their shop tomorrow and tell everyone how bad they are....

I fit bedrooms, Kitchens & bathrooms for a living. Quite a lot of my customers are people who have bought the items and then decided against fitting themselves OR wont pay the sheds ridiculous fitting charges.

You always get (so called designers) miss measuring no matter where you go, but i have to say i would never recommend MFI products. I mean why make your worktops non standard size just to stop you getting them from a cheaper supplier.

It should be a simple job to cut one of the cabinets down and then re assemble so it will fit your tight space, but like you said, why should you have to do it, if he has supposedly measured correctly.

Good luck all i can advise is what you are doing now. Maybe taking a flask of coffee, and some sandwiches to the store then sit outside the managers office with your dirty shoes all over a nice settee until the penny drops and he realises you are bwoody serious about getting the cockup resolved may help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back