Bedroom light problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a problem with a bedroom light as it does not work every since the shower was disconnected. I've had a look in loft and believe it or not the previous owners had tapped into the shower for a power source to the bedroom hence it not working because the shower has been disconnected.

I have followed a lighting diagram posted on here and run a cable from bedroom number 2 (next room) but the light in bedroom 1 does not work independantly. If i turn on bedroom 2 light and then switch on bedroom 1 light it works then and i can turn it on and off via its switch but soon as i turn bedroom 2 light off bedroom 1 goes off also as if i have killed the feed.

Any ideas to what is wrong? i've spent hours trying to rectify it.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
the live you have taken from bed 2 is the switched live. if its a pendant you must connect to the middle terminal, if its another sort of light the permenant live may be in a seperate connector block

the live you have taken from bed 2 is the switched live. if its a pendant you must connect to the middle terminal, if its another sort of light the permenant live may be in a seperate connector block

I've no idea how they have wired the ciruit. I've had a look in the pendant of bedroom 2 and there is no loop connected. i've looked at the rest of the upstairs pendants (5 in total) and they are all the same, no loops.

If you have a look at the image for bedrrom 2 you might get a better idea.

http://img846.imageshack.us/i/lighting.jpg/

Sponsored Links
you need to find the other cable that goes to the light switch is there another junction box in the attic.

if you follow the red cable to where it goes down to the wall switch you might see the other cable going down to the wall switch, this cable is the permenant live. you need to put a junction onto this cable and send it to your light that isnt working

if you follow the red cable to where it goes down to the wall switch you might see the other cable going down to the wall switch, this cable is the permenant live. you need to put a junction onto this cable and send it to your light that isnt working

Brilliant, cheers for that. I've had a quick look in the loft and can see the second cable going down to the light switch but there is no junction or anything so i will have to break into it. The cable is only thin though, will it be red and black because there's no black cable in the switch of bedroom 2 and i can't cut into it as yet to have a look.

Once i cut into the permenant live will you just have a ganders at the image, and is it right. Sorry about the pics but its the best way to describe. Thanks again

http://img13.imageshack.us/i/wiringn.jpg/

the new cable you have put in (brown & blue) the cable you are going to cut a juction in, (its probably a single grey cable red inside) the brown of your new cable connects to this red cable. the neutral blue cable is right beacause the light works now (even though you havent got onto the permanent live, yet)

in your 1st photo if you take out the brown, put it onto a single connector block then run a piece of cable from this connector to the 2nd cable going down to the switch where you are going to cut into it , job done, looks as if there is enough room in the junction box to put this connector block in there and get the lid on :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back